The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is proud of its mission to provide excellent service to all our patients and their families. If payment of your medical bill is a concern, we may be able to assist you.
We provide financial assistance based on income, family size and assets for medically necessary and emergent services. Uninsured patients who are not eligible for financial assistance will not be charged more than the amounts generally billed to patients with insurance.
New Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Regulations Effective July 1, 2016
On July 1, 2016, new Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations take effect, which change the requirements not-for-profit hospitals and health systems must meet to keep their tax exempt status.
The revised regulations—IRS Code 501(r)—were part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and will be implemented at Penn State Health hospitals and medical practices.
Changes include requiring hospitals and health systems to:
- Have a written financial assistance policy (FAP) and “plain language summary” of the policy available to the public
- Limit the amounts that can be charged for emergency or other medically-necessary care to individuals eligible for financial assistance, charging only “Amounts Generally Billed” (AGB) for such care
- Refrain from extraordinary collection actions (ECA) before making reasonable efforts to determine whether an individual qualifies for financial assistance.
In response to the final regulations, the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and its Medical Group practices have revised financial assistance policies and processes.
Starting July 1, 2016, our revised financial assistance policy will go into effect. Under the new policy, patients who qualify will receive 100% financial assistance for medically-necessary services. Partial financial assistance awards will be discontinued.
You can download the new information on financial assistance below, including the new financial assistance application and “plain language summary” of our financial assistance policy.
Questions about financial assistance should be directed to Patient Financial Services at 717-531-5069 or 800-254-2619. Office hours are Monday-Wednesday 8 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. and Thursday-Friday 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Polizza di Assistenza Finanziaria (policy)
- Pazienti che hanno bisogno dell’Assistenza Finanziaria (application)