Welcome to Penn State Hershey Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
Research is a major part of our program. We are very active in clinical research studies and a basic research laboratory. Dr. Faoud Ishmael, M.D., Ph.D., Research Director, who is developing our ability to do translational research. Our research interests are:
- Obstructive lung disease
- Multiple drug allergy
- Alpha1-anti-trypsin deficiency
- Hereditary angioedema
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
At the present time we follow the largest group of hereditary angioedema patients in the United States and this allows multiple research opportunities for students, residents and fellows. As a group we have successfully worked with over 50 medical students in their research projects and each year have multiple students presenting their research at our national conferences and have mentored many residents in their research projects.
- The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
- CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
- Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...
- Penn State Hershey experts to present on IBD In an effort to help patients living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis in central Pennsylvania, Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center experts, led by Dr. Walter Koltun, will host a patient symposium.More...