Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine - International Outreach Overview
We proudly support our colleagues in their goals for providing acute care for patients in under-resourced areas globally, as well as teaching, thus building long term relationships and solutions with local people.
Operation Smile - site changes. November of 2014, Vietnam
- Medical mission
- Pediatric anesthesia fellow Dr. Mohammad Zalzala, Drs. Patrick McQuillan, Padmani Dhar, and Katie Donahue.
- Pediatric cleft lips and palates.
- Teams of in-country, regional, and international credentialed volunteers work together with interpreters.
Hearts of Ecuador - November of 2014, Ecuador
- Medical mission
- Chief Residents, under supervision by Dr. Jansie Prozesky and Dr. Carolyn Barbieri.
- Anesthesia for pediatric cardiothoracic surgical cases.
- Teams from Penn State, including the pediatric residents and cardiology fellows, as well as PICU nurses. The cases are primary repairs such as ASds, VSDs.
ASA - Global Health Outreach (GHO) - September, January, and/or March, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
- International Anesthesia Rotation
- Drs. Manish Shah and Sally Baker in 2 separate one month rotations at the CURE Hospital in Addis Ababa under direct supervision of the American Anesthesia Program Director.
- Pediatric orthopedic patients in the operating room, active involvement in the ongoing outcomes research project investigating postoperative mortality, and teaching of Ethiopian anesthesia residents.
- https://www.asahq.org/GHO and http://cure.org/hospitals/ethiopia
Casa de Luz/Island Impact - May of 2015, Puerta Plata - Dominican Republic
- Medical mission.
- A PGY-4 resident under supervision by Drs. Grap and Vuong.
- Anesthesia for children and adults for ophthalmologic cases.
- Austere environment in a public hospital.
Other Anesthesia Outreach Trips
- Michelle Raymond, CRNA: Kenya relief medical mission trip: ENT cases including thyroid goiters, head/neck masses, and oral surgeries. http://www.kenyarelief.org
- The Medical Minute: When duodenal switch may be the best weight loss option A less-common form of bariatric surgery can help the heaviest patients reach an ideal weight, but it’s not for everyone.More...
- Founder and president of VaxForm spoke at HCAR on Oct. 1 Garry Morefield, founder and president of Vaxform, LLC, spoke at noon on Thursday, Oct.1, at the Hershey Center for Applied Research, as part of the Entrepreneur’s Roundtable. Morefield will share his experience establishing a start-up company.More...
- Day of Caring kicks off United Way campaign at Penn State Hershey The 23rd annual Day of Caring was held on Sept. 11, with 17 Penn State Hershey employees joining nearly 1,600 volunteers representing more than 76 companies. This event officially kicked off the 2015 United Way campaign.More...
- Weight loss and exercise can improve fertility for polycystic ovary patients Weight loss and exercise improve ovulation in women who have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, a common hormone disorder that often causes infertility, according to research by a team including Penn State Hershey’s Dr. Richard Legro.More...