Pain Medicine Fellowship
Positions are currently filled for 2014 - 2015. Application information for the fellowship starting 2015 - 2016 are currently being accepted. We will be going through the NRMP Match again this year. Timeline for the Match process should be announced shortly.
The Pain Medicine Fellowship Program at Penn State Hershey and the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine is an ACGME accredited program with duration of one year. The program is accepting applicants from any ACGME accredited primary specialty. The Pain Medicine Center utilizes a multidisciplinary, comprehensive approach to manage over 7800 outpatient visits per year.
- Spine Surgery where the fellow will participate in the evaluation of patients with spine surgeons and gain an understanding of the surgical options available for patients with pain related to spinal pathology
- Neurophysiology with exposure to EMG and nerve conduction studies
- Oncology with exposure to cancer pain
- Palliative Care with exposure to end of life care
- Neuroradiology which offers a full range of diagnostic and intervention procedures
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in patients with disabilities resulting from musculoskeletal disorders including spine-related disorders, spinal cord injury, arthritis, trauma, and limb amputations
- Acute Pain Service with high volume of epidural and peripheral nerve catheters placed for perioperative pain control
- Psychiatry where fellows will become familiar with the basics of psychiatric assessment
- Anesthesia where the fellow will gain experience with airway management, peripheral vascular access, intravenous sedation and management of side effects and complications associated with intravenous sedation.
- Acquiring comprehensive knowledge of diagnosis and treatment of the more common chronic pain conditions
- Becoming proficient with a wide variety of interventional pain management procedures
- Providing an overview of the information required to become a consultant in pain management and preparing for the subspecialty board examination.
David Giampetro, MD
Pain Medicine Fellowship Director
c/o Connie Williard
Penn State Hershey Anesthesiology
500 University Drive, HU32
Hershey, PA 17033