Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
50 Shades of Pink
On January 30, 2016, Kathy celebrated a milestone birthday just one year after receiving a scary diagnosis of breast cancer. From the day of her diagnosis, Kathy and her family were determined to fight, and by the time her birthday arrived, they had much to celebrate. Read more about the inspiring way in which Kathy used her experience to benefit others battling breast cancer.
- The Medical Minute: Safety tips for hunters of all ages With rifle deer season around the corner in Pennsylvania, thousands of hunters of all ages are preparing to head into the woods. Falls from tree stands continue to be a common hunting accident, yet can sometimes be overlooked — for example, when hunting safety courses focus on firearms.More...
- Children's Hospital helps promote 'safe sleep' practices in Dauphin County The Pediatric Trauma Injury Prevention Program is joining with the Dauphin County commissioners and other community partners on a long-term campaign aimed at educating parents and caregivers in the county on the safe way to put infants to bed.More...
- Penn State College of Medicine MD/PhD student gets 'Shark Tank' investment Olivier Noel, a sixth-year student in Penn State College of Medicine’s MD/PhD Medical Scientist Training Program, has risen to national fame after appearing on ABC’s hit reality show “Shark Tank.”More...
- Pay 4 Play raises record-breaking total for Children’s Hospital The 11th annual People’s Pay 4 Play on WQXA-FM 105.7 The X on Nov. 9 & 10 raised a record-breaking $241,363.30 for Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Children’s Hospital.More...