Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- The Medical Minute: Go easy on the salt If you’re trying to reduce the salt in your diet, you’ll likely find you’re not alone. It’s very common advice given by doctors for those suffering from high blood pressure. Your body only needs a small amount of sodium to work properly, but too much sodium can be bad for your health.More...
- Children's Miracle Network Telethon to air June 5 on WGAL-TV 8 For the first time, the Children’s Miracle Network Telethon will be broadcast from the Children’s Hospital.More...
- Medical Center helps Capitol crews stay safe in the sun The gift is the latest of several the Department of Dermatology has made in recent years to help with sun protection efforts across central Pennsylvania.More...
- Penn State Health, fellow health care providers team up to combat opioid crisis Penn State Health has joined with other health care providers across south central Pennsylvania to present a united front in the war against opioid and heroin abuse.More...