Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- The Medical Minute: Going 'gluten-free' not for everyone More and more often, we see “gluten-free” food options on store shelves and restaurant menus. But what does “gluten-free” mean and why have such products become so popular?More...
- Drugs 101 to educate parents about drug use Penn State Health will present a program to educate parents about various types of drugs and the peer pressures children face to use them.More...
- A neurosurgeon and an engineer walk into a lab ... Penn State scientists are combining neuroscience, engineering, miniaturization, and magnetic fields to create a tiny device that could lead to better, safer treatments for epilepsy and other brain disorders by sensing and "talking to" brain cells without physically invading the brain.More...
- Trustees approve key milestones for several construction projects at Hershey Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine are moving forward with several critical construction and renovation projects to better meet the health care needs of the community.More...