Penn State Cancer Institute
The experts of Penn State Cancer Institute are committed to fighting cancer on every front: through education and prevention, early detection and diagnosis, effective treatment, and survivorship programs. Our facility provides patients access to all aspects of care in a single destination including:
- Infusion therapy suites and private rooms for chemotherapy
- A state-of-the-art radiation oncology suite that offers treatment options that refine tumor targeting and reduce treatment time, such as RapidArc radiotherapy
- A chemotherapy and infusion pharmacy staffed by clinical pharmacists and certified pharmacy technicians
- An outdoor healing garden that offers a quiet retreat for both patients and families
Seamlessly integrating these services creates a real-time medicine model that helps ensure each patient receives the right diagnosis and the right therapy at the right time.
Center Stage is the performing and visual arts program at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Our mission is to enhance our healthcare community with art and music that calm, nurture and inspire. We provide the art making and live music programs for our Cancer Institute patients and caregivers.
Penn State Cancer Institute recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review
Penn State Cancer Institute has been named among the “100 Hospitals and Health Systems With Great Oncology Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review, a leading source of business and legal information for healthcare industry leaders.
According to Becker’s, hospitals included on the list offer patients comprehensive cancer care involving teams of specialists, participation in clinical trials and personalized treatment programs. The editorial team at Becker’s selected hospitals for inclusion based on accreditations earned and recognitions received.
The Cancer Institute, based on the campus of Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, is south central Pennsylvania’s only academic cancer care center. The institute provides patients with high-level care, conducts advanced research and leads community outreach initiatives. The Cancer Institute offers a range of services including personalized risk assessment and counseling and unique clinical trials.
Smart Talk: Colorectal Cancer Awareness - it can be prevented
As part of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Ray Hohl, director of Penn State Cancer Institute, and Dr. Walter Koltun, chief of the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, discussed on WITF-FM's Smart Talk the causes, risk factors, and symptoms of colorectal cancer, treatment options, and what we're learning about this disease.
Cancer Institute earns three-year full accreditation with gold level commendation status
Upon recently completing its Commission on Cancer (CoC) survey and accreditation site visit, Penn State Cancer Institute achieved full accreditation with gold level commendation status for three years. from the American College of Surgeons. "This recognition highlights our membership in an elite group of cancer programs committed to providing high-quality cancer care to the patients of our region," noted Dr. Raymond Hohl, director, Penn State Cancer Institute. "It underscores our commitment to excellence and plays an important role in advancing our mission to improve the lives of our patients."
The Cancer Committee - forty faculty and staff of Penn State Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine and a liaison from the American Cancer Society-East Central Division - prepared for the site visit.
The CoC is dedicated to improving survival and quality of life for cancer patients through standard-setting, prevention, research, education, and the monitoring of comprehensive quality care. Click here to learn more about the CoC.
Ignoring your family history isn't worth the risk
Everyone has some risk of developing breast cancer. Learning your risk early may help prevent cancer from occurring or catch it when it is most treatable. Penn State Hershey Breast Center's high-risk assessment team provides a comprehensive screening and customized care plan for your level of risk based on your personal screening. Protect your health and the health of the women in your family.
Schedule an appointment today by calling 717-531-5867. Meet the team and learn how the Breast Center can help you decrease your risk.
Look Good… Feel Better
Look Good…Feel Better helps female cancer patients improve their appearance and self-image by teaching them hands-on beauty techniques to manage the appearance of side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. This program is available throughout the year at Penn State Hershey. dates, locations and times vary. Registration is required. View the full schedule here. To register, call 800-227-2345.
Free Wig Program
Penn State Cancer Institute is a proud supporter of the American Cancer Society's Free Wig Salon program located in Infusion Therapy - first floor to help patients undergoing cancer treatments and experiencing hair loss. Those who may be looking for a wig can visit the private Wig Room where a trained volunteer provides personal assistance in wig selection, fitting, styling, and wearing at no charge. Call 800-227-2345 for more information.
Our goal is to restore our patients and their families to wholeness, both emotionally and physically, while helping them live with the diagnosis of cancer. We encourage you to connect with other cancer patients, caregivers, family and friends at any of our support groups. Share your experiences with others living with cancer, and hear practical, up-to-date information from our cancer care teams, including what to expect during treatment, how to manage treatment side effects, and more. Click here for a complete list of support groups.
Penn State Cancer Institute delivers cancer services throughout central and eastern Pennsylvania. The Institute's mission includes clinical care, research, education and community outreach. Our Cancer Institute brings the benefits of cancer-related research and education at Penn State's College of Medicine to the care of patients at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
Our Partners and Affiliates Include:
- Scholar’s shift in subject matter leads to intriguing cancer-research findings Alexandre Bourcier, a Penn State sophomore and Schreyer Honors Scholar, found a new way to use a cancer-treating drug during a research project in Hershey.More...
- Santa makes a cyber-stop at Penn State Children’s Hospital As Santa Claus puts finishing touches on his list and checks it twice, he took time out of his busy schedule to talk with patients at Penn State Children’s Hospital.More...
- Deven Jackson’s football dreams come true Twelve-year-old Deven Jackson from Perry County lives and breathes football. So when his legs were amputated because of bacterial meningitis, he asked his parents, “Does this mean I can’t play football now?” Thanks to running blades, Deven’s determination and the care he received at Penn State Children’s Hospital, he did eventually return to the football field.More...
- PRO Wellness hits the street with new mobile unit Penn State Children’s Hospital and Penn State PRO Wellness are now taking healthy family lifestyle education on the road to various community events each month.More...