eNewsletter - Education and Research
Popular disinfectants do not kill human papillomavirus
Commonly used disinfectants do not kill human papillomavirus (HPV) which makes possible non-sexual transmission of the virus and creates a need for hospital policy changes, according to researchers from Penn State College of Medicine and Brigham Young University.
"Because it is difficult to produce infectious HPV particles for research, little has been known about HPV susceptibility to disinfection," said Craig Meyers, Distinguished Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Penn State College of Medicine.
Read the full story here.
Save the Date
Third Annual Melanoma Center Visiting Scholar Program
Thursday, May 1 – Noon-1:00 p.m., Lecture Room D
John M. Kirkwood, M.D. presents "The Evolution of Adjuvant Therapy for Human Melanoma"
Spring Dean's Lecture
Tuesday, May 13 – 4:00 p.m. Junker Auditorium
Gavin Robertson, Ph.D., Director, Penn State Hershey Melanoma Center presents "Melanoma Cell Plasticity: Can this disease be cured?"
Thirteenth Annual Melanoma Mini-Symposium: "Personalized Treatment of Melanoma"
Monday, May 19 – Noon-4:15 p.m. (lunch provided)
Lecture Room D
This event is free and open to the public.
Faculty Awards (January – March 2014)
|Roger Anderson||Pharmacotherapy Evaluation Tools for Improving Breast Cancer Outcomes||The Regents of the University of Michigan|
|Chandra Belani||A Phase II, Multicenter, Single-arm Study of MPDL3280A in Patients with PD-L1-Positive Locally Advanced or Metastatic||Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Genentech, Inc.|
|Neil Christensen||Experimental Protocol for In Vivo Testing Anti-Viral Compounds Topically Using the CRPV/Rabbit Model||Stiefel Laboratories, Inc.|
|Neil Christensen||Novan Anti-viral Study in the CRPV/Rabbit Model||Novan Inc.|
|David Goldenberg||Obesity and Diabetes as a Risk Factor for Thyroid Cancer||Barsumian Trust|
|Jeffery Sample||Viral Long Noncoding RNA Functions in Epstein-Barr Virus Infection||NIH|
|Todd Schell||An Orthotopic Murine Model of HCC: Immunotolerance and Prevention||Medical University of South Carolina|
|Cristina Truica||A Randomized Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study of LEE011 in Combination with Drug A for the Treatment of Postmenopausal Women with Hormone Receptor Positive, HER2 Negative Breast Cancer||Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.|
|Yanming Wang||Small Molecule Inhibitors Targeting PAD4 for Breast Cancer Treatment||PA Breast Cancer Coalition|
Faculty Publications (January – March 2014)
- Bann, D. V., Beyer, A. R., and Parent, L. J. (2014). A Murine Retrovirus Co-opts YB-1, a Translational Regulator and Stress Granule-associated Protein, to Facilitate Virus Assembly. J Virol. Epub ahead of print.
- Branstetter, S. A., Mercincavage, M., and Muscat, J.E., (2014). Time to first cigarette predicts 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol (NNAL) in adolescent regular and intermittent smokers, NHANES 2007-2010. Epub ahead of print.
- Fang, Z. Z., Krausz, K. W., Nagaoka, K., Tanaka, N., Gowda, K., Amin, S. G., Perdew, G. H., and Gonzalez, F. J. (2014). In vivo application of the pure aryl hydrocarbon receptor antagonist GNF-351 is limited to the gastrointestinal track. Br J Pharmacol. Epub ahead of print.
- Gordon, B. S., Kazi, A. A., Coleman, C. S., Dennis, M. D., Chau, V., Jefferson, L. S., and Kimball, S. R. (2014). RhoA modulates signaling through the mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) in mammalian cells. Cell Signal 26, 461-467.
- Hong, B., van den Heuvel, A. P., Prabhu, V. V., Zhang, S., and El-Deiry, W. S. (2014). Targeting tumor suppressor p53 for cancer therapy: strategies, challenges and opportunities. Curr Drug Targets 15, 80-89.
- Kimmick, G., Fleming, S.T., Sabbatino, S.A., Wu, X.C., Hwang, W., Wilson, J.F., Lund, M.J., Cress, R., and Anderson, R.T. (2014). Comorbidity Burden and Guideline-Concordant Care for Breast Cancer. J Am Geriatr Soc. Epub ahead of print.
- Konsavage, W. M., Jr., and Yochum, G. S. (2014). The Myc 3' Wnt Responsive Element Suppresses Colonic Tumorigenesis. Mol Cell Biol. Epub ahead of print.
- Marks, M. A., Chaturvedi, A. K., Kelsey, K., Straif, K., Berthiller, J., Schwartz, S. M., Smith, E., Wyss, A., Brennan, P., Olshan, A. F., Wei, Q., Sturgis, E.M., Zhang, Z.F., Morgenstern, H., Muscat, J., et al. (2014). Association of Marijuana Smoking with Oropharyngeal and Oral Tongue Cancers: Pooled Analysis from the INHANCE Consortium. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 23, 160-171.
- Meyers, J., Ryndock, E., Conway, M. J., Meyers, C., and Robison, R. (2014). Susceptibility of high-risk human papillomavirus type 16 to clinical disinfectants. J Antimicrob Chemother. Epub ahead of print.
- Muppidi, A., Doi, K., Edwardraja, S., Pulavarti, S. V., Szyperski, T., Wang, H. G., and Lin, Q. (2014). Targeted Delivery of Ubiquitin-Conjugated BH3 Peptide-Based Mcl-1 Inhibitors into Cancer Cells. Bioconjug Chem 25, 424-432.
- Starkey, J. L., Han, J., Chadha, P., Marsh, J. A., and Wills, J. W. (2014). Elucidation of the Block to Herpes Simplex Virus Egress in the Absence of Tegument Protein UL16 Reveals a Novel Interaction with VP22. J Virol 88, 110-119.
- Wu, W., Feng, S., Wang, Y., Wang, N., Hao, H., and Wu, R. (2014). Systems mapping of genes controlling chemotherapeutic drug efficiency for cancer stem cells. Drug Discov Today. Epub ahead of print.
- Yao, P. L., Morales, J. L., Zhu, B., Kang, B. H., Gonzalez, F. J., and Peters, J. M. (2014). Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-beta/delta (PPARbeta/delta) inhibits human breast cancer cell line tumorigenicity. Mol Cancer Ther. Epub ahead of print.