Expertise in Head and Neck Cancer Treatment
The head and neck cancer team leads in the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of both benign and malignant diseases of the head and neck region. Our team employs a multidisciplinary approach to diagnose and treat all types and stages of cancers that occur in the head and neck region, including:
- Oral cancer (lip, mouth, tongue, palate)
- Oropharyngeal cancer (tonsil, tongue base, soft palate) - including da Vinci® Robotic Surgery (TORS)
- Laryngeal cancer (voice box)
- Hypopharyngeal cancer (throat and swallowing passage cancer)
- Benign and malignant thyroid disease
- Parathyroid disease (Hyperparathyroidism) - including Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy
- Salivary gland tumors
- Cutaneous malignancies of the head and neck
Advanced Diagnosis and Treatment for Improved Care
Patients are thoroughly evaluated by our team of physicians and caregivers in order to make the most accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. We provide patients with the information needed to understand their disease and decide on the best treatment plan for them. Treatments may include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy as well as medical therapy. Throughout treatment, we emphasize ongoing communication with patients, families, and referring physicians.
Advanced Cancer Care by Multidisciplinary Team
As an academic medical center, patients with head and neck cancer benefit from innovations in cancer care through research at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. All cancer care decisions are reviewed by a multidisciplinary team including surgeons, radiation and medical oncologists, pathologists, and radiologists so patients have the knowledge and expertise from a team of nationally recognized surgical specialists for every step of their individualized care.