History

PSHCI Building

Penn State was founded as the Farmer's High School in 1855. The largest campus is at University Park (State College), Pennsylvania, with 24 other campuses located throughout the Commonwealth, including the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center located in Hershey, Pennsylvania. The University includes ten undergraduate colleges, the Graduate School, the College of Medicine and several other components.

As a whole, Penn State offers more than 160 baccalaureate and 25 associate degree majors, 140 graduate fields of study, 5,000 undergraduate courses, and 3,000 graduate courses. General operations of the University are supported by appropriations from the Pennsylvania legislature, grants from the federal government, research grants and contracts, and income from endowment and tuition.

Summary of Events:

2000-2001: cancer was designated in the Strategic Plan of the Penn State College of Medicine/Hershey Medical Center as the research area to be aggressively developed with the ultimate goal of being able to become a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center

2000: Cancer Center Advisory Committee was convened to assess the Penn State Cancer Center and provide opinions regarding its current activities and what would be required to make NCI-designation a viable goal 

2001: Crossroads Cancer Consulting was hired to assess the strengths and weaknesses regarding NCI-designation and the Cancer Steering Committee was formed to guide the implementations of the recommendations made by the consultants

2003:  First Director of the Cancer Institute was appointed and the Associate Director of Population Research was hired

2004: Karam El-Bayoumy, PhD was recruited as Associate Director of Basic Research

2005: First External Advisory Board (EAB) meeting was held

2006:  Second EAB meeting held and the Penn State Board of Directors  approved a new, free-standing facility to house both clinical and research functions of the PSHCI

2007:  Chandra Belani, MD was recruited as Deputy Directory/Associate Director for Clinical Research

2009:  New 178,000 square foot facility opened to the public

2013: Search began for a new Director

2014: Raymond Hohl, MD, PhD hired as the new Director of PSCHI