Pennsylvania Dermatologists - Penn State Hershey Dermatology
Our Missions are our Purpose
- Patient Care: Give the highest level of care to our patients.
- Education: Recruit, train, and retain the best faculty, residents, medical and graduate students.
- Research: Be a nationally recognized leader in research.
- Community Service: Partner with our neighbors to improve skin health.
What's New in Dermatology
The Department of Dermatology would like to say thank you to everyone attending this year's Food and Wine Pairing featuring "A Taste of the Great Northwest" held April 12th. A special thank you to our sponsors, Anne Leader, Arnold Foundation, Toby Travelute Foundation, Amgen, GR Sponaugle and Sons, Janssen Biotech, George Leader Family Corporation, Klick Lewis, HERCO, and Aclaris Therapeutics. We would also like to thank those donating through the Silent Auction. Profit for 2014 is $29,615. The 9 year total for money raised from this event is now at $177,659. All proceeds benefit Dermatology's Research Endowment.
Save the Date for 2015: April 11, 2015 for "A Taste of Italy"
Mark your calendars for the 2014 "Taste of Tango" on October 18, 2014 at the Hershey Country Club. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
Academic Dermatologic (Mohs) Surgeon (State College, PA): Seeking a candidate who has outstanding patient care qualities, a track record of superb surgical skills, and a deep commitment to excellence in education and clinical research. Applicants must be board certified or board eligible in Dermatology and have completed or currently enrolled in a fellowship sponsored by the Amerian College of Graduate Medical Education. Click here for more details.
The following faculty were promoted to the rank of Professor effective, July 1, 2014:
- Michael Ioffreda, M.D.
- Bryan E. Anderson, M.D.
- Christie T. Travelute, M.D.
Dr. Joslyn Sciacca Kirby was awarded tenure and promoted to the rank of Associate Professor effective July 1, 2014.
American Academy of Dermatology Expert - Andrea L. Zaenglein, M.D.
Information presented at the American Academy of Dermatology's Summer Academy Meeting by Andrea L. Zaenglein, MD, FAAD, a board-certified pediatric dermatologist and professor of dermatology and pediatrics at Penn State/Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pa. Dr. Zaenglein also is a co-author of the newly published pediatric acne guidelines. Click here to read more.
American Academy of Dermatology Expert - Todd V. Cartee, M.D.
Information presented at the American Academy of Dermatology's Summer Academy Meeting by Todd Cartee, MD, FAAD, a board-certified dermatologist and assistant professor of dermatology at Penn State/Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pa. Click here to read more.
Dr. Galen Foulke, Dermatology Resident, has received the Penn State Medical School Class of 2015's Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award. Each year the third year medical students nominate and vote 6-7 residents who have been excellent role models during these students' clinical year. Nominees are based on their demonstrated commitment to teaching and compassionate treatment of patients and their families, as well as to other students and colleagues. Galen will received this honor on June 10, 2014 at the Student Clinician Ceremony.
Dr. Young Lee, Dermatology Resident was the co-winner of the Everett C. Fox, M.D., Residents & Fellows Award at the 72nd Annual American Academy of Dermatology Meeting, March 23, 2014 in Denver, Colorado for her presentation "A Retrospective Analysis of the Duration of Oral Antibiotic Therapy for the Treatment of Acne Among Adolescents: Investigating Practice Gaps and Potential Cost Savings"
Dr. Young Lee, Dermatology Resident, was awarded the American Acne and Rosacea Society Clinical Research Grant in March 2014. Project title: "A Meta-Analysis of Laboratory Monitoring During Treatment with Isotretinoin"
Dr. David Baird, Dermatology Resident has been selected to receive a Native American Health Services Resident Rotation grant to participate in a one week elective in Chinle, Arizona, where the Education and Volunteers Abroad Committee (EVAC) has established dermatology support.
Dr. Charlene Lam, Dermatology Chief Resident will receive a 2013 Review Article Incentive Program Award, from the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery for her manuscript "PTCH-ing it Together: a Basal Cell Nevus Syndrome Review." Dr. Lam will receive the award at the annual ASDS meeting in Chicago, IL on October 4, 2013.
Dr. Bryan E. Anderson, has been selected to receive a "2013 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching." This award was established in 2008 to recognize members of the faculty who have made outstanding contributions to medical and graduate education at Penn State College of Medicine. Bryan will receive the award at the annual Convocation and Awards Ceremony on Friday, September 20, 2013.
Dr. James Marks, was awarded the 2013 Steven and Sharon Baron Award in the Faculty Category. He was being recognized for establishing a nationally recognized department that has served as a training ground for the next generation of academic dermatologists. He was also recognized as creating an environment of mutual respect, mentorship and excellence in the missions of teaching, patient care, research, and community service, leading by example. Dr. Marks was nominated for this award by the Dermatology faculty.
Dr. Joslyn S. Kirby has been awarded the 2013 Clinical Career Development Award in Health Care Policy/Public Health provided through the Dermatology Foundation.
Dr. Joslyn S. Kirby has been selected for the American Acne & Rosacea Society Clinical Research Grant in the amount of $10,000.00 for her clinical research project entitled, "A Retrospective Analysis of the Duration of Oral Antibiotic Therapy for the Treatment of Acne Among Adolescents: Investigating Practice Gaps and Potential Cost-Savings."
Dr. Andrea L. Zaenglein has been presented a Presidential Citation in recognition of her contributions to Camp Horizon. She received the award on March 1, 2013 at the Academy of Dermatology's annual meeting in Miami, FL.
Department of Dermatology
2013 - 2019
Education Goal – Recruit, train, and retain the best faculty, residents, medical and graduate students by:
- Recruiting a pediatric dermatologist.
- Initiating a Chair's endowment.
- Building our education resources with the Hassel, Lookingbill, Marks, and Schragger endowments.
- Starting clinician-educator and dermatological surgery fellowships (post-residency training).
- Training residents in a dermatology research residency track.
Research Goal –Being nationally recognized leader in research by:
- Building our Dermatology Research Endowment with our annual Food and Wine Event.
- Supporting translational research with the Professor of Dermatology Endowment.
- Continuing innovative clinical research which takes discovery from the lab to the patient.
- Collaborating with investigators at University Park in skin cancer research.
- Recruiting a basic scientist.
Patient Care Goal –Give the highest level of care to our patients by:
- Increasing clinic space in Hershey with a new building
- Expanding care with acute care access and evening clinics.
- Starting practices in Camp Hill, Mount Joy, and Palmyra.
- Continuing quality improvement.
Community Service Goal – Partner with our neighbors to improve skin health by:
- Promoting sun protection for the general public to prevent skin cancer.
- Volunteering at the Bethesda Mission, annual skin cancer screenings and Camp Horizon.
- Increasing our communication and alignment with our Community.
2013 Dermatology Achievements
Education – The excitement of learning
- Dr. David R. Adams was promoted to Professor.
- Dr. Andrea L. Zaenglein was promoted to Professor.
- 5-year residency accreditation continued with no deficiencies.
- Over 65 community dermatologists attended our monthly patient-centered conference.
- Lookingbill, Schragger, and Hassel Endowments sponsored prominent Visiting Professors.
- Dr. James G. Marks received the 2013 Steven and Sharon Baron Award.
- Dr. Bryan E. Anderson received the 2013 Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Dr. Joslyn S. Kirby was awarded the 2013 Clinical Career Development Award in Health Care Policy/Public Health provided through the Dermatology Foundation.
- Dr. Charlene Lam (chief resident) received a 2013 Review Article Incentive Program Award from the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
Research – The joy of discovery
- 19 sponsored clinical studies (14 industry sponsored and 5 investigator initiated).
- 51 peer-reviewed publications featured in national/international journals.
- Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $32,000 for basic science research.
- Taste of Tango raised over $900 for Dermatology Education and Research Endowments.
Patient Care – The reward of healing
- UPC Clinic in top 10 percentile nationwide Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction – Star Site.
- 17 faculty scored in the top 10 percentile in Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction.
- 12 of the faculty were recognized in Best Doctors in America.
- Dr. Elizabeth "Vinny" Seiverling joined the faculty in July 2013
- Dr. Catherine Chung completed her Derm Path Fellowship in July 2013 and joined the faculty in September 2013.
- Opened 3 additional Dermatology practice sites - Camp Hill, Mount Joy, and Palmyra.
- Patient Visits: UPC - 31,643 State College – 15,067 Camp Hill – 737 Cancer Institute – 840 Plastic Surgery – 56 Peds Specialty – 261 Nyes Road - 7,319 Mount Joy - 449 Palmyra - 461 TOTAL PATIENT VISITS: 56,833
- Skin pathology cases: In-Hospital: 10,150 Outside: 6,526
Community Service – The satisfaction of giving
- 207 individuals examined at our annual free skin cancer screening clinics.
- Monthly Bethesda Mission Clinic for the homeless in Harrisburg.
- Volunteered for children with severe skin diseases at Camp Horizon.
- Dr. Bryan E. Anderson serves on the Board of Directors for the American Contact Dermatology Society.
- Tobacco Intervention Program at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey Medical Center’s Tobacco Intervention Program, or TIP, support group meets from 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Monday evening at the University Conference Center on the Penn State Hershey campus. The free group sessions guide participants from decision-making to quitting through relapse prevention. Interested individuals should call 1-800-243-1455 to register and for directions.More...
- Program to fund physician scientists at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey is launching the Physician-Scientist Recruitment Initiative to address the decreasing number of clinicians conducting biomedical research. Physicians bring a unique perspective to scientific questions on public health because of their experience with patients.More...
- Miracle Marathon to benefit CMN at Penn State Hershey The Miracle Marathon, a wellness challenge to benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital, will take place from Sept. 16 to Oct. 12.More...
- Nominations being accepted for 2015 Woodward Lecturer The Woodward Endowment for Medical Science Education Steering Committee at Penn State Hershey is calling for nominations for the 2015 Woodward Lecturer, who will present the keynote address during the EdVenture Education Celebration next spring.More...