Pennsylvania Dermatologists - Penn Hershey Dermatology
We Do the Research in Dermatology
Penn State Hershey Dermatology is dedicated to expanding our knowledge about many dermatological conditions by doing research in the laboratory, as well as in the clinic. We are involved in many exciting research studies so that we can have the most up-to-date information and treatments for our patients. Learn More >>
Our Research Mission
Be a nationally recognized leader in research by:
- Growing our clinical research
- Recruiting a physician researcher to advance our knowledge of skin disease and treatment
- Increasing our Dermatology Research Endowment Funds in order to support our research mission
- Expanding collaborative research with investigators at Penn State - University Park
- Developing research initiatives on quality of healthcare delivery in dermatology
**Penn State Hershey Dermatology is currently seeking a Physician Scientist. For more information, please refer to the advertisement.
Fast Facts in Research
- Dr. Todd V. Cartee received the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery's 2012 Young Investigators Writing Competition Award and the Research Award.
- 11 sponsored clinical studies (9 industry sponsored and 5 investigator initiated).
- 69 peer-reviewed publications featured in national/international journals.
- Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $29,000 for basic science research.
- Sun screen usage at Hershey Park.
- Utilizes Central IRB
- Our clinical trials have more than doubled.
- Implemented the Institution's first research Volunteer Database in the Dermatology clinic.
- In June 2011, Penn State joined the ranks of leading academic centers in receipt of its multimillion dollar Clinical and Translational Sciences Award to fund Penn State's Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). Dr. Thiboutot, in our department of dermatology is the Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education and Training for the CTSI
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $26,000 for science research. Please see our newsletter.
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $19,000 for basic science research.
- 16 Pharmaceutical- sponsored clinical studies
- #33 in NIH funding of over 100 dermatology departments/divisions nationwide.
- The Dermatology Professor Endowment helped support Dr. Thiboutot's Lab.
- Melanie Dispenza, a MD/PhD candidate was awarded:
- American Acne and Rosacea Society Clinical research Grant
- Travel Award to attend the Montagna Symposium of the Biology of the Skin in Salishan, OR.
- Farber Travel Award for Young Investigators
- Morgan Travel Award from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- 2010 Finkelstein Memorial Student Research Award
For more information on advances in research at Penn State College of Medicine, please read our newsletter.
The 3rd Annual Dermatology Research Conference will be held September 20nd, 2012 from 1:00 - 5:00 PM.
- Hershey Community Garden vies for grant in online competition The Hershey Community Garden is a nominee for a grant from Seeds of Change, an organic seed company. In order to win a grant, the Community Garden needs the help of the entire Penn State Hershey community to vote. Click on this link to vote: http://www.seedsofchangegrant.com/TheGallery.aspxMore...
- Special lighting of the Crescent building recognizes upcoming occasions As part of an ongoing effort to reduce energy usage and operate in a more cost efficient and environmentally friendly manner, Penn State Hershey installed an LED lighting system to illuminate its signature Crescent building, replacing the original and less efficient facade lighting. This week, the building is lit in blue in honor of National Child Abuse Awareness Month.More...
- Presentation to explore the world of modern day slavery Penn State Hershey will host a presentation by advocacy group Women at Risk Int’l titled “Modern Day Slavery: Trafficking & Exploitation of Vulnerable Women” at noon April 23 in Lecture Room C.More...
- Pinwheel garden set up in recognition of Child Abuse Prevention Month April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, a time to recognize that everyone can play a part in promoting the social and emotional well-being of children and families in the community. Over the last week, new decorations have popped up on the lawn of Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital.More...