Pennsylvania Dermatologists - Penn Hershey Dermatology
We Do the Research in Dermatology
Penn State Hershey Dermatology is dedicated to expanding our knowledge about many dermatological conditions by doing research in the laboratory, as well as in the clinic. We are involved in many exciting research studies so that we can have the most up-to-date information and treatments for our patients. Learn More >>
Our Research Mission
Be a nationally recognized leader in research by:
- Growing our clinical research
- Recruiting a physician researcher to advance our knowledge of skin disease and treatment
- Increasing our Dermatology Research Endowment Funds in order to support our research mission
- Expanding collaborative research with investigators at Penn State - University Park
- Developing research initiatives on quality of healthcare delivery in dermatology
**Penn State Hershey Dermatology is currently seeking a Physician Scientist. For more information, please refer to the advertisement.
Fast Facts in Research
- Utilizes Central IRB
- Our clinical trials have more than doubled.
- Implemented the Institution's first research Volunteer Database in the Dermatology clinic.
- In June 2011, Penn State joined the ranks of leading academic centers in receipt of its multimillion dollar Clinical and Translational Sciences Award to fund Penn State’s Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). Dr. Thiboutot, in our department of dermatology is the Director of Clinical and Translational Research Education and Training for the CTSI
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $26,000 for science research. Please see our newsletter.
- The Annual Food and Wine Event raised over $19,000 for basic science research.
- 16 Pharmaceutical- sponsored clinical studies
- #33 in NIH funding of over 100 dermatology departments/divisions nationwide.
- The Dermatology Professor Endowment helped support Dr. Thiboutot's Lab.
- Melanie Dispenza, a MD/PhD candidate was awarded:
- American Acne and Rosacea Society Clinical research Grant
- Travel Award to attend the Montagna Symposium of the Biology of the Skin in Salishan, OR.
- Farber Travel Award for Young Investigators
- Morgan Travel Award from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- 2010 Finkelstein Memorial Student Research Award
For more information on advances in research at Penn State College of Medicine, please read our newsletter.
The 3rd Annual Dermatology Research Conference will be held September 20nd, 2012 from 1:00 - 5:00 PM.
- The Medical Minute: Genetic testing for breast cancer risk Dr. Rena Kass, director of Penn State Hershey Breast Center, said actress Angelina Jolie’s announcement regarding her double mastectomy is great publicity that will raise awareness about the genetic component of many cancers.More...
- CLIMB program puts families dealing with cancer first Penn State Hershey is hosting another session of CLIMB: Children’s Lives Include Moments of Bravery. Developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, this five-week program sponsored by Penn State Hershey Breast Center addresses the psychosocial aspects of cancer as they relate to the family unit.More...
- Farmers Market in Hershey launches fourth season On Thursday, May 23, the Farmers Market in Hershey will return for its fourth season with plenty of new offerings.More...
- Penn State Hershey experts to present on IBD In an effort to help patients living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis in central Pennsylvania, Penn State Hershey Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center experts, led by Dr. Walter Koltun, will host a patient symposium.More...