Welcome to Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is committed to improving health through world-class patient care, research, community outreach, and education to prevent or successfully manage diabetes, obesity and related disorders by Reinventing Diabetes Care™ for the 21st Century. Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is part of the University-wide Penn State Institute for Diabetes and Obesity, which includes clinical, applied, and basic scientists from multiple colleges and campuses across the University. Learn More...
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Playbook
Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute is focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook is a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
Click here to learn more about the Diabetes Playbook.
Check back here frequently to get the most up to date research, news, and happenings with the Diabetes Institute.
- Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD Research Focus - the Patient Centered Medical Home
- Latest Research Articles
- Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD Interviews with AJMC at the American Diabetes Association
Penn State Hershey and the Patient Centered Medical Home
All of Penn State Hershey Medical Group Primary Care Sites have received Patient Centered Medical Home certification from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) by adopting a new care model that aims to provide continuous and comprehensive care.
Dr. Robert Gabbay, MD, PhD, is currently working with over 20 adult primary care practices in Northwest and Southcentral Pennsylvania helping them to reach the same accreditation that our Medical Group practices have reached. Under the same grant funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Dr. Gabbay was chosen as one of four state nationally to begin laying the groundwork for a Primary Care Extension Service in order to support primary care practices in becoming Medical Homes.
To read the original press release, click here.
Feeling Stressed & Overweight?
Penn State Milton S. Hershey researchers are trying to determine the effect that stress reduction will have on blood pressure, blood sugar, and overall health in overweight women.
If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact Barb Scheetz, B.S., at 717-531-4483.
Nazia Raja-Khan, M.D., Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism is the PI for this study.
The Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute encourages clinicians caring for patients with diabetes and obesity to make use of and share the following resources in the PSHDI's toolkit:
- PA SPREAD is building a Primary Care Extension Service to help support Patient Centered Medical Home Transformation in primary care practices. Tools and resources are available to all for this transformation.
- Diabetes Care published the American Diabetes Association's additions to the standards of medical care in diabetes in January 2012.
- Integrated Blood Pressure Control published Evidence -based approach for managing hypertension in type 2 diabetes in May 2010 to be used as guidelines while managing blood pressure.
- New Guidelines for managing elevated blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes (algorithms for better glucose control).
- Diabetes Playbook is a patient-centered resource which helps patients keep track of their diabetes care. The book offers tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, as well as offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day.
- Medication Card is a form that your patients may use to keep track of their medications.
- Body Mass Index Calculator to help you quickly calculate your patient's BMI.
- Health Information Library is a service of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. This easily searchable e-library provides current information on a host of health-related topics.
- Penn State Hershey Diabetes Institute Patient Resources provides links to web-based information and resources for specifically for patients managing diabetes and striving for healthy weight management.
- Obesity in America provides general information about understanding obesity, combating obesity, and statistics about obesity in America.
- Bariatric surgery restores nerve cell properties altered by diet Understanding how gastric bypass surgery changes the properties of nerve cells that help regulate the digestive system could lead to new treatments that produce the same results without surgery, according to Penn State College of Medicine scientists, who have shown how surgery restores some properties of nerve cells that tell people their stomachs are full.More...
- Penn State College of Medicine awarded $1 million AMA grant Penn State College of Medicine has been awarded a prestigious $1 million grant by the American Medical Association as part of a program aimed at transforming the way the physicians of tomorrow are trained.More...
- Penn State Hershey entrepreneurs win first 'startup boot camp' awards Dr. Joseph Sassani, ophthalmologist at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and professor of ophthalmology and pathology at Penn State College of Medicine, is the winner of The TechCelerator@Hershey’s inaugural Eight Week Boot Camp program for promising entrepreneurs.More...
- Collaborative Hershey and University Park medical service trip This spring brought the first collaborative spring break service trip for University Park undergraduates and Hershey medical students and physicians.More...