Penn State Hershey Department of Emergency Medicine
Please join us in welcoming Susan B. Promes, MD as professor and chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Promes, who joined Penn State Hershey in July 2014, was previously professor and vice chair for education in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Promes has received numerous awards and honors for excellence in teaching, leadership and service. She is active in professional groups including the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine and the American College of Emergency Physicians; she also serves on the ACGME Emergency Medicine Residency Review Committee. Her academic interests include team training, bedside teaching, medical errors, and clinical guidelines; her research focuses on medical education and faculty development with a current emphasis on evaluation of learners.
Welcome Dr. Promes!
Celebrating 25 Years of Saving Lives
- For more than twenty-five years, Penn State Hershey Life Lion Critical Care Transport has been saving lives in central Pennsylvania and beyond. Since the first patient flight in December 1986, more than 30,000 patient transports have been completed, and the team of twenty-three employees has grown to nearly 70 pilots, nurses, paramedics and support staff. Watch our team in action.
- As Penn State Hershey Life Lion Critical Care Team celebrates twenty-five years, Read more on how the flight team reflects on how medical air services have changed and what's ahead.
Penn State Hershey Emergency Medicine is committed to:
- Providing the highest quality, efficient and compassionate care to our patients and our community;
- Advancing the knowledge base of Emergency Medicine and care outcomes through clinical excellence, research and scholarship and;
- Educate and train the future leaders in Emergency Medicine
- Caring - we embrace sensitivity to the well-being of patients, families and staff;
- Excellence - we strive for the highest quality of care for all patients;
- Growth - we share a personal and organizational commitment to professional development and life long learning;
- Respect - we value the dignity, autonomy and worth of individuals of all backgrounds;
- Timeliness - we strive for expeditious evaluation and treatment, while maintaining the highest possible quality; Teamwork - we are committed to work together towards common goals through effective communication, collaboration, tolerance of variation in ideas, and the assumption of responsibility and accountability for the actions and decisions required by one's role
Every minute counts in the care of acutely ill and injured patients. Life Lion's Critical Care medical teams save not only precious time, but also deliver specialized care and treatment. Click here to learn more.
Penn State Hershey Life Lion EMS is committed to providing the community, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, and the region, with easy access to quality, efficient, out-of-hospital care in a professional, compassionate, and caring environment. Click here to learn more.
- The Medical Minute: Seniors often keep falls a secret Because maintaining an independent lifestyle is so important for some elderly individuals, they may keep it a secret when they fall.More...
- Applications being accepted for AFF funding at Penn State Hershey The Allocation Committee of the Association of Faculty and Friends (AFF) invites Penn State Hershey employees and students to apply for funding for programs that directly support the Medical Center and College of Medicine.More...
- Anatomy of an emergency: How Penn State Hershey prepares for issues like Ebola Ebola ranked dead last on most hospitals’ lists of “things to worry about” in early 2014. Now, Penn State Hershey Medical Center has been named one of 50 planned Ebola treatment centers in the nation. Learn how the designation has helped the hospital prepare for a range of public health emergencies.More...
- Class to focus on boosting metabolism, changing eating habits A new, free class for members of the Penn State Hershey University Fitness Center is aimed at helping participants improve their eating habits and boost their exercise routines.More...