Penn State Health Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Penn State Health Endocrinology and Diabetes evaluates adult patients with a variety of glandular and metabolic problems such as thyroid, parathyroid, diabetes, gonadal, pituitary and adrenal diseases. We evaluate and treat patients with osteoporosis and other metabolic diseases and help adult patients with diabetes manage the disease. Surgery to treat a particular endocrinology disease is performed by trained surgeons with full support from a medical endocrinologist, Core Endocrine Laboratory and radiology services.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism offers a two-year fellowship training program leading to Board Certification in Endocrinology and Metabolism and clinical competence in all areas of endocrinology and metabolic diseases. Teaching is provided through a busy outpatient referral practice in Endocrinology and Diabetes and an active inpatient service. The Division provides an unusually integrated approach to training by effective utilization of patients and faculty members in Surgery, OB/GYN, Nuclear Medicine, and Pathology in addition to the core faculty from the department of Medicine. Clinical research opportunities are provided throughout the training program with research topics encompassing the entire scope of endocrine disease.
The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism continues to pursue its multiple missions of research, education and patient care.
We're focused on Reinventing Diabetes Care™. One of the ways we are reaching this goal is by hearing what our patients have to say. When our patients asked for an easy way to keep track of their diabetes care, the Diabetes Playbook was made. Not only does the book offer tips on how to manage diabetes from people who treat diabetes, it offers tips from people who live with diabetes every day. The Diabetes Playbook was a Gold winner in the 24th Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Report Awards, recognized for its effective way of delivering its diabetes education message.
We also received the Allene Von Son Award from the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) for the Diabetes Playbook. This award, sponsored by the Bayer Corporation, recognizes diabetes educators and programs that have developed original, outstanding, and effective patient education tools.
The Playbook provides up-to-date information about diabetes and its management.
- Download a free, printable copy of the Diabetes Playbook.
- You can order up to 2 professionally printed, hard copies of the Diabetes Playbook at no cost. Click here to complete the Diabetes Playbook order form online. We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions that you may have regarding our Diabetes Playbook. Please forward your comments to Diabetes_Institute@hmc.psu.edu.
The Foundation for Enhancing Communities has helped to support our Diabetes Playbook.
- The Medical Minute: Toy safety tips for the holidays – and year-round Pretty much all toys can look inviting to children. But it’s important for adults who are buying toys this holiday season to look beyond the flashing lights and cool noises and make sure they are safe.More...
- Mets named officer to international anesthesiology board Dr. Berend Mets, chair of the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, has been appointed to a four-year term as an officer to the board of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists.More...
- Giant Food Stores and Duracell host party for Children's Hospital patients Face painting, games and costumed characters were part of a party for patients and their families at Penn State Children’s Hospital, hosted by Giant Foods Stores and Duracell. The Nov. 28 event in the hospital’s Tree House Café was a celebration of Giant and Duracell’s partnership with the Children’s Hospital through Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.More...
- Medical Center again recognized with Consumer Choice Award Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center has earned a Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation for the 17th consecutive year. The award identifies the hospitals that health care consumers have chosen as having the highest quality and image in markets throughout the U.S. in National Research’s annual market insights survey of more than 300,000 households.More...