Ophthalmology Student Interest Group
Dr. David A. Quillen, George and Barbara Blankenship Professor, Chair of Ophthalmology, and Director of the Penn State Hershey Eye Center is the Faculty Advisor for this student interest group which meets on a quarterly basis throughout each academic year. Students interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology are welcome to contact Dr. Quillen at 717-531-8783 or via email at email@example.com.
Student leadership for the group has been set up in a team-based format to align its organizational format with that of the Ophthalmology Department as well as the institution. All Leadership Team members will have an active role in guiding the interest group throughout the year, with the Leader and Co-Leader overseeing the entirety of the group's activities.
|Executive Board|| |
Please contact any of the leadership team members with questions or suggestions and if you would like to be added to the email list. Students interested in Ophthalmology research opportunities should contact Joetta Bradica, Assistant Director of Student Aid at 531-4102.
The Ophthalmology Interest Group meets quarterly each year and has been formed to:
- Stimulate medical students' interest in the field of Ophthalmology
- Facilitate clinical and research opportunities in Ophthalmology for medical students by promoting communication between members and faculty
- Provide guidance to students interested in pursuing a career in Ophthalmology
- Provide Ophthalmology related volunteer opportunities for students through activities such as Lion Care, the Bethesda Mission project, and vision screenings for the medically underserved
- Encourage attendance at and participation in the Penn State Hershey Eye Center's educational activities
- Increase student knowledge of the practice of Ophthalmology through lectures given by faculty at the group's quarterly meetings
- Allow students to participate in interactive sessions which utilize hands-on skills training
You may access externship information for any medical school by searching the school's name and selecting educational opportunities for medical students in Ophthalmology when you have reached the school's website. Listed below are a few of the programs recently attended by Penn State College of Medicine students:
Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA - http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ophthalmology/education/students/
University of California-Irvine - http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/uceye/extramuralstudents.htm
Moorfields Eye Hospital, United Kindom - Dr. Bill Aylward, Medical Director - Bill.firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
If you have questions regarding the residency application process for the Ophthalmology Residency Program, please click here. Student leadership team members also recommend Kenneth V. Iserson's book, "Getting Into a Residency: A Guide for Medical Students".