Welcome to our Residency Program
Supported by the nation's oldest department of Family and Community Medicine, our residency program is committed to providing a rigorous, rewarding, educational experience to residents who wish to deliver comprehensive and compassionate care to patients in diverse settings. We provide a welcoming environment where primary care and specialist faculty are dedicated to forming excellent doctors who care for a broad spectrum of patients.
- We are the only residency program in central Pennsylvania located within an academic medical center which allows access to outstanding educational resources such as our comprehensive library system and Simulation Center.
- Residents work side-by-side with leaders in areas of sports medicine, family medicine policy and advocacy, integrative medicine, global health and other areas of expertise. Our department boasts one of the largest and most broadly talented groups of family physician faculty in the country.
- Our Family and Community Medicine residents join a complement of more than 500 of the best and brightest residents and fellows brought to Hershey from across the nation.
Our Penn State Hershey Medical Group Fishburn Road and Penn State Hershey Medical Group Nyes Road clinical sites are officially designated as patient centered medical home and provide an environment in which residents hone their outpatient skills under the supervision of our faculty preceptors who see patients alongside of them. Our Family Medicine Inpatient Service is managed by our residents who are supervised exclusively by our program's dedicated Family Medicine attending physicians.
Residents learn to practice Women's Health within their continuity clinics and also during dedicated rotations with obstetrics and gynecology attending's. We collaborate with Obstetrics and Gynecology for our Labor and Delivery rotation and of course residents perform deliveries of their personal continuity patients under the supervision of our own Family Medicine faculty. A community hospital Labor and Delivery experience rounds out residents' robust training in Women's Health care.
Education in Sports Medicine sharpens family physicians' skills in Orthopaedics, dermatology, concussion care, prevention, and adolescent care. Our Program provides residents with superb training experiences in this area. While our goal is for every resident to graduate feeling comfortable on the sidelines of a local high school football game, there are ample opportunities for motivated residents to pursue further educational opportunities in the training rooms of local high schools, colleges, and public events under the supervision of our enthusiastic Sports Medicine faculty.
Backed by the prestigious and nationally-respected Penn State University, recent graduates have been accepted into competitive fellowships. Others are practicing in a variety of settings from inner-cities to small towns to suburban clinics, and are providing excellent, evidence-based care to patients. Penn State Hershey Family Medicine Residency Program is uniquely positioned to develop promising medical students into competent, confident family physicians.
Family Medicine residents enjoy the unique setting of Hershey, Pennsylvania. As part of prestigious and nationally-respected Penn State University, residents at Penn State Hershey are involved in the highest level of academic discourse while providing care to patients in a small town and living in an idyllic landscape. For residents to enjoy access to this level of academic rigor while living within such a beautiful community is a rare and wonderful arrangement.
- The Medical Minute: Home for the holidays is a time to gauge loved ones’ health As families gather during the holiday season, it’s important to pay special attention to the older members of the clan. In fact, the holidays are a prime opportunity to observe changes in both mental and physical health that may otherwise go undetected and untreated.More...
- Center offers range of safety-related gifts The Safety Center, located on the first floor of Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital, is offering patrons the chance to give the gift of safety this holiday season.More...
- Learn meditation with free class series at Penn State Hershey “Awakening the Heart” is a seven-week introduction to the practice of Heart Rhythm Meditation. The classes will be held from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays Jan. 2 through Feb. 13, at the University Fitness Center on the Penn State Hershey campus. The free course is open to all interested adults.More...
- Graduate students hold coat drive The Penn State College of Medicine Graduate Student Association is holding a coat drive to benefit the Bethesda Mission.More...