General Surgery Academic Year 2016/2017
William Sangster, M.D.
Class Year: PGY-4
Hometown: Jackson Heights, New York
Memberships/Societies: Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons, Association for Academic Surgery, National Medical Association
Awards: Best Oral Presentation- Penn State College of Medicine Resident Research Day 2014, Best Oral Presentaton – Keystone Chapter ACS Annual Scientific Meeting 2014.
Academic Development Time: Colorectal Surgery Lab
Academic Mentors: Dr. David Stewart, Dr. John Hegarty
Interests: Working out, watching movies
Undergraduate: Pennsylvania State University
Medical School: Thomas Jefferson Medical College
Identifying methods to improve patient outcomes due to Clostridium Difficile infection
- AbdelSalam H, Restrepo C, Tarity TD, Sangster W, Parvizi J. Predictors of intensive care unit admission after total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2012 May;27(5):720-5.
- Matsushima K, Goldwasser ER, Schaefer EW, Sangster W, Armen SB, Indeck MC. Consultation for "dead gut": who needs an emergent exploratory laparotomy? Am Surg. 2014 Jun;80(6):624-627.
- Connelly TM, Juza RM, Sangster W, Sehgal R, Tappouni RF, Messaris E. Volumetric fat ratio and not body mass index is predictive of ileocolectomy outcomes in Crohn's disease patients. Dig Surg. 2014 Sep 24;31(3):219-224.
- Sangster W, Hegarty JP, Stewart DB. Phage therapy for C. difficile infection: an alternative to antibiotics? Seminars in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2014 Sept;25(3):167-170.
- Connelly TM, Koltun WA, Sangster W, Berg AS, Hegarty JP, Harris LR, Deiling S, Stewart DB. An interleukin-4 polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to C. difficile infection in IBD patients: results of a retrospective cohort study. Surgery. 2014 Oct;156(4):769-75.
- Hegarty JP, Sangster W, Harris III LR, Stewart DB. Proton pump inhibitors induce changes in colonocyte gene expression that may affect Clostridium difficile infection. Surgery. 2014 Oct;156(4):972-8.
- Sangster W, Hegarty JP, Stewart DB. Phage tail-like particles kill C. difficile and represent an alternative to conventional antibiotics. Surgery. 2015 Jan;157(1):96-103.
- Sangster W, Kulaylat AN, Stewart DB, Schubart JR, Koltun WA, Messaris E. Hernia incidence following single-site versus standard laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Colorectal Dis. 2015 Mar;17(3):250-6.
- Kulaylat AN, Hollenbeak CS, Sangster W, Stewart DB. Impact of smoking on surgical outcomes in Crohn's disease: a propensity-score matched NSQIP analysis. Colorectal Dis. 2015 Mar;doi:10.1111/codi.12958.
- Sangster W, Messaris E, Berg AS, Stewart, DB. Single-site laparoscopic colorectal surgery provides similar clinical outcomes compared with standard laparoscopic surgery: an analysis of 626 patients. Dis Colon Rectum. 2015 Sep;58(9):862-869.
- Sangster W, Hegarty JP, Schieffer K, Wright J, Hackman J, Toole D, Lamendella R, Stewart DB. Bacterial and fungal microbiota changes distinguish C. difficile infection from other forms of diarrhea: results of a prospective inpatient study. Front Microbiol. 2016 May;7:789.
- Sangster W, Berg AS, Choi CS, Connelly TM, Chesnut CH, Koltun WA, Stewart DB. Outcomes of early ileocolectomy following percutaneous drainage for perforated ileocolic Crohn’s disease. Am J Surg. 2016 May;pii:S0002-9610(16)30213-6.
- Choi CS, Berg AS, Sangster W, Schieffer KM, Harris III LR, Deiling S, Koltun WA. A combined medical and surgical approach improves healing of septic perianal Crohn’s disease. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Jun;pii:S1072-7515(16)30207-1.
- "Effects of intermittent hPTH (1-34) on the SCID-BEIGE mouse femur" Poster Presentation, Commonwealth Summer Research Summit. Hershey, PA, August 2006
- "Proton pump inhibitors induce changes in colonocyte gene expression that may affect Clostridium difficile infection" Podium Presentation, Central Surgical Association 71st Annual Meeting. Indianapolis, IN, March 2014
- "Hernia incidence following single-site versus standard laparoscopic colorectal surgery" Podium Presentation, Hershey Medical Center 6th Annual Resident/Fellow Research Day. Hershey, PA, May 2014
- "(RFF)3XB and AB2 are effective cell-penetrating peptides for C. difficile morpholino therapy" Podium Presentation, Keystone Chapter ACS Annual Scientific Meeting. Hershey, PA, November 2014
- "NSQIP in colorectal surgery: a tool for decreasing preventable morbidity" Podium Presentation, 10th Annual Academic Surgical Congress. Las Vegas, NV, February 2015
Media interested in contacting the above person should contact the Office of Marketing and Communications at 717-531-8606.