Hobbies: running, painting, woodworking
Hometown: Mentor, Ohio; Fairfax, Virginia
Awards/Honors: 2013 Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation Award for Exceptional Leadership and Organization of the First Symposium on Pediatric Surgical Innovation, Children's National Medical Center, Washington DC, 2006 Edward H. Kass Award- Infectious Diseases Society of America
Academic development time
Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, Children's National Medical Center, 9/2012-6/2013, Fellow, Washington, DC
Duke University School of Medicine-National Institutes of Health, 8/2011-present, Clinical Research Training Program, Master's Degree Candidate (MHS Clinical Research), Bethesda, MD
National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center, 9/2010-8/2012, Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Bethesda, MD
Academic development time mentor(s): Anthony Sandler, MD; Peter Kim, MD; Marian Danis, MD; Steven Pearson, MD; Christine Grady, PhD, RN
1. Schwartz, JAT, Gnocci V, Eskandanian K, Finkel J, Quezado Z, Kim P. Crossing the Chasm in Pediatric Medical Device Development: Stakeholder Perspectives on Overcoming Barriers, Improving the 510(k) Process, and International Regulatory Approval. Pediatrics. Submitted, Under Review.
2. Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD. Innovation in pediatric surgery: The surgical innovation continuum and the ETHICAL Model. Accepted J Pediatr Surg 18 Dec 2013.
3. Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD and Steven D. Pearson, MD, MSc. Cost Consideration in the Clinical Guidance Documents of Physician Specialty Societies in the United States. JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173(12):1091-1097. Online: May 6, 2013.
4. Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD and Marion Danis, MD. Ethical Dilemmas of Surgeons and the Role of Clinical Ethics Committees: A Survey. Federal Register. Nov 28, 2011.
5. 2009 Pennsylvania Association for Thoracic Surgery 47th Annual Meeting. Abstract. Thoracotomy on Extracorporeal Membranous Oxygenation: Balancing Need for Anticoagulation and Surgical Bleeding Risk. (T Moritz, DO; J Tripp, MD; D Campbell, MD. Penn State Hershey Medical Center Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery).
6. 2007 Southern Thoracic Surgical Association Annual Meeting. Abstract. The Proximal Landing Zone: A Limitation to Endovascular Repair of Traumatic Aortic Injury? (Gorav Ailawadi, MD; Jennifer A Tripp, BS; Benjamin B Peeler, MD; Irving L Kron, MD; John A Kern, MD. Dept of Surgery, UVA, Charlottesville, VA, USA).
7. 2006 Pediatric Academic Societies' Annual Meeting (San Fransico, CA). Abstract. Antifungal Sensitivities of Fungal Isolates in High-Risk Preterm Infants Exposed to Fluconazole Prophylaxis in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit over a 7-Year Period. (David Kaufman, Robert Boyle, Jennifer Tripp, Audrey Myers, Melinda Robinson, Leigh B. Grossman, Kevin C. Hazen. Pediatrics; Pathology and Microbiology, UVA SOM, Charlottesville, VA).
1. 2013 American Pediatric Surgical Association, Ethics and Advocacy Committee Meeting (San Marco, FL). Lead discussion on developing and promulgating an official APSA Position Statement on Surgical Innovations based on the Schwartz ETHICAL Model. (Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD)
2. 2012 American Pediatric Surgical Association, Ethics and Advocacy Committee Meeting (San Antonio, TX). Presented bioethics project on how to define what constitutes a surgical innovation, and development of a model to help guide pediatric surgeon innovators. (Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD)
3. 2011 American Society for Bioethics and Humanities Annual Meeting (Minneapolis, MN). Oral Presentation: "Analysis of US Medical and Surgical Societies: Cost Consideration in Policy Statements and Clinical Guidance documents." (Jennifer A. T. Schwartz, MD)
4. 2006 IDSA Conference (Toronto, Canada). Oral Presentation: "Septic Shock Survival Enhanced Through Therapeutic Use of Anthrax Lethal Toxin" (Jennifer Tripp, Edward Martin, Jr., Sharon Kim, W. Michael Scheld). Won Kass Award for presentation and research project.