General Surgery Academic Year 2016/2017
Jonathan (Jay) S. Tomasko, M.D.
Hometown: Torrington, CT
Memberships/Societies: Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons, Society of the American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES), American Medical Association
Awards/Honors: Department of Surgery Education Award, Department of Surgery Innovation Award
Academic Development Time: Minimally Invasive Surgery/Surgical Technology and Innovation Lab
Academic Mentor: Randy Haluck, MD
Interests: Hiking, camping, woodworking
Undergraduate: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Medical School: Albany Medical College
Congenital Cardiac Surgery
Device Design, Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Mathew A, Tomasko JM, Pauli EM, Moyer MT, Gopal J, Ancrile BB, Rogers AM, Haluck RS. Reliability of gastric access closure with the self approximating transluminal access technique (STAT) for NOTES. Surg Endosc 2011 Aug; 25(8):2718-24.
- Pauli EM, Tomasko JM, Jain V, Dye CE, and Haluck RS. Multiply Recurrent Episodes of Gastric Emphysema. Case Rep Surg 2011;2011:587198. Epub 2011 Sep 29.
- Tomasko JM, Pauli EM, Kunselman AR, Haluck RS. Sleep Deprivation increases cognitive workload during simulated surgical tasks. Am J Surg 2012 Jan; 203(1):37-43.
- Tomasko JM, Mathew A, Moyer MT, Haluck RS, Pauli EM. An intestinal occlusion device for prevention of small bowel distension during transgastric natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery. JSLS Apr-Jun; 17(2):306-11.
- Hajnal A, Zharikov A, Poston JE, Fields MR, Tomasko JM, Rogers AM, Volkow ND, Thanos PK. Alcohol reward is increased after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in dietary obese rats with differential effects following ghrelin antagonism. PLoS One. 2012; 7(11). Epub 2012 Nov 7.
- Tomasko JM, Adams, NE, Garritano FG, Santos MC, Dillon PW. Collaborating to increase access to clinical and educational resources for Surgery: A case study. J Surg Ed In Process: Epub ahead of print 2013 Apr 8.
- Polston JE, Pritchett CE, Tomasko JM, Rogers AM, Leggio L, Thanos PK, Volkow ND, Hajnal A. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass increases intravenous ethanol self-administration in dietary obese rats. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 31;8(12):e83741. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0083741.eCollection 2013.
- Tomasko JM, Judd S, Lyn-Sue JR, Fishman MK, Hollenbeak CS, Rogers AM, Haluck RS. S019: Quality of Life Outcomes After Heller Myotomy for Achalasia: Comparing Dor and Toupet Fundoplications. 2011 Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Tomasko JM, Pauli EM, Kunselman A, Haluck RS. Sleep Deprivation and Skills Acquisition Study. Association of Surgical Education 2011, Surgical Education Week. Oral Presentation, Boston, MA.
- Hajnal A, Zharikov A, Tomasko JM, Thanos PK, Rogers AM. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Increases Alcohol Reward in Dietary Obese Rats and Altered Ghrelin Signaling is a Plausible Mechanism. The Obesity Society Meeting 2012, Oral Presentation, Abstract; San Antonio.
- Tomasko JM, Santos MC, Boltz MM, Gunn JS, Wilson MW, Puopolo L, Han D, Dillon P. The Challenge of Integrating SCORE into a General Surgery Curriculum. Keystone Chapter of The American College of Surgeons 2011 Meeting, Oral Presentation, Allentown PA.
- "Surgical Innovation: There has to be a Better Way" Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Surgery Research Grand Rounds. Hershey, PA. October 11, 2012
- Gregg Schmidig, Jonathan M. Tomasko, Colleen Roche, Aiguo Wang Third-Body Wear of Polyethylene/Metal Total Hip Prosthesis by PMMA and Peri-Apatite Particles. 2002 SOCIETY FOR BIOMATERIALS 28th Annual Meeting Transactions 381 Howmedica Osteonics, 309 Veterans Blvd. Rutherford, New Jersey
- Toms Augustin, Jonathan M Tomasko, Gustavo V Bello, Randy S Haluck, Ann M Rogers, Jerome R LynSue. Laparoscopic paraesophageal hernia repair with anterior hernia repair with anterior gastropexy does not worsen and improves dysphagia; an institutional series. Accepted to SAGES 2012 annual meeting.
- Gustavo V Bello, Toms Augustin, Jonathan M Tomasko, Jerome R Lyn Sue, Randy S Haluck, Ann M Rogers. CT scans show low incidence of trocar site fascial defects after laparoscopic Roux -en-Y Gastric Bypass. Accepted to SAGES 2012 annual meeting.
- Jonathan M. Tomasko, Mary C. Santos, Melissa Boltz, J. Stephen Gunn, David Han, Peter Dillon. Penn State Hershey Medical Center's SCORE Experience. Accepted to 2012 Association of Surgical Education Surgical Education Week.
- Jonathan M. Tomasko, Nancy E. Adams, Theodore T. Foley, Neerav Goyal, Frank Garritano, Mary C. Santos, David Han, Peter Dillon. Designing a Single Portal eLibary Site to Facilitate Surgical Education. Accepted to 2012 Association of Surgical Education Surgical Education Week.
- Andras Hajnal, A. Zharikov, Jonathan M. Tomasko, Ann M. Rogers. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Increases Alcohol Reward in Dietary Obese Rats and Altered Ghrelin Signaling is a Plausible Mechanism. Accepted to the 2012 Summit of the Penn State Institute of Diabetes and Obesity, Hershey PA.
- Toms Augustin, Jonathan M. Tomasko, Jerome R. Lyn-Sue, Randy S. Haluck. Gastropexy As An Option During Repair Of Large Paraesophageal Hernias; Comparison To Nissen Fundoplication. Accepted to 2012 ACS Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois
- Jonathan M. Tomasko, Toms Augustin, Ann M. Rogers, Randy S. Haluck. Stricture rate in laparoscopic gastric bypass; 60 mm versus 45 mm linear stapler. Accepted to 2012 ASMBS San Diego, CA
- Benjamin C. James, Dejah Judelson Toms Augustin, Gustavo V. Bello, Jonathan M. Tomasko, Randy S. Haluck, Ann M. Rogers, Jerome R. Lyn-Sue. Jejunojejunal intussusception after roux en-y gastric bypass for obesity: an institutional series. Accepted to 2012 ASMBS San Diego, CA
- Toms Augustin, Jonathan M. Tomasko, Gustavo V. Bello, Benjamin James, Jerome R. Lyn-Sue, Randy S. Haluck, Ann Rogers. Gastrojejunostomy leaks after laparoscopic gastric bypass: effect on postoperative outcomes and resolution of comorbidities. Accepted to 2012 ASMBS, San Diego, CA
- Jonathan M. Tomasko, Nancy Adams, Lacee Laufenberg, Matthew Wilson, Melissa Boltz, J. Stephen Gunn, Mary Santos, Peter Dillon. EdVenture 2012, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, General Surgery.
- Jonathan M. Tomasko, Michael Fishman, Seth Judd, Randy S. Haluck, Jerome R. Lyn-Sue, Ann M. Rogers. "Laparoscopic Conversion of Gastric Banding to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass" SLS Annual Meeting Los Angeles, CA. September 15, 2011
Media interested in contacting the above person should contact the Office of Marketing and Communications at 717-531-8606.