Penn State Hershey General Surgery
One of our goals is to develop leaders in clinical surgery and to provide the optimal academic surgical environment for patients, residents and staff.
General Surgery provides inpatient and outpatient care for patients with benign and malignant conditions of the:
- Alimentary Tract (Gastrointestinal or G.I.)
- Diseases of the Pancreas, Biliary Tree and Liver
- Diseases of the Breast, Skin and Soft Tissue
- Head and Neck (mostly tumors)
- Vascular System (blood vessels)
- Surgical Oncology (cancer)
- Comprehensive Management of Trauma
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
Treatment for patients with obesity problems also is provided in conjunction with an endocrinologist, psychiatrist and nutritionist.
- Gomez and Hafenstein awarded collaborative grant to study virus structures Esther Gomez, assistant professor of chemical engineering and biomedical engineering in Penn State’s College of Engineering, and Susan Hafenstein, associate professor of medicine and microbiology and immunology in Penn State’s College of Medicine, have been awarded one of two Grace Woodward Grants for Collaborative Research in Engineering and Medicine for the 2016-17 project period.More...
- Physicians help develop national treatment guidelines for pancreatic cancer Practice guidelines for physicians treating a wide range of diseases have become a frequently used, if not required tool, for every physician in daily medical practice.More...
- The Medical Minute: Disease causes tumors to form on nerve tissue Although neurofibromatosis (NF) is not commonly discussed, it affects more than 2 million people worldwide. According to the Children’s Tumor Foundation, NF is more common than cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Huntington’s disease combined.More...
- Innovation Cafe is about connections and advancing ideas Innovation and music may not be an obvious connection, but it created perfect harmony at Penn State’s latest Innovation Cafe, a networking program organized by the Penn State College of Medicine’s Office of Technology Development.More...