Study Abroad Funding
Even though trips often occur to underdeveloped countries where the cost of living is lower, a month-long trip may easily accrue to $2,500-3,000 per person.
A description of each of the Spring 2013 scholarships and grants available through the Global Health Center and the Kienle Center for Humanistic Medicine can be found here.
Please see this Guide to Study Abroad Scholarships, for a list of funding opportunities.
Also, annually the Mark J. Young International Health Policy Scholarship is made available via email. This award is to support individuals who seek educational activities related to international health care. The award is to be used for activities outside the United States. The call for submissions is often in March.
Below is a list of scholarship opportunities available to medical students.
- Academy for Educational Development (AED)
- American Medical Women's Association's American Women's Hospitals Service
- Benjamin H. Kean Traveling Fellowship in Tropical Medicine
- Carole M. Davis Scholarship
- Christian Medical and Dental Society (CMDS)
- Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Fundsnet Services Online (This site may have some scholarship opportunities)
- Global Health Ministries (Lutherans)
- Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellowships
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- James S. Westra Memorial Endowment Fund
- Large list of international scholarly work funding opportunities
- Malaria Research and Training Center in Mali
- MAP (Fourth-year medical students, residents and interns are eligible. Applications should be submitted during the academic year prior to travel)
- Medical Students For Choice Reproductive Health Externships
- Network of Community-Oriented Educational Institutions for Health Sciences
- NSEP/Boren Scholarship/Fellowship for Study Abroad
- Partners of the Americas
- Project MedSend
- PSU list of potential scholarships
- Sara's Wish Scholarship Fund (for young women pursuing the ideals of bettering the world)
- The Rotary Foundation
- Yale Johnson and Johnson Physician Scholars in International Health
Contact Us: If you are aware of any scholarship opportunities feel free to send us that information so that we can update this list. Please email Ben Frederick, M.D.at firstname.lastname@example.org