Non-Degree Students

If you do not intend to pursue a graduate degree at this time, but want to take graduate-level courses for personal enrichment, professional development, a graduate certificate, or might later want to apply for degree status, you can seek admission as a non-degree student.

To enroll in College of Medicine graduate courses you must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution (or equivalent degree from a non-US institution), and you must receive permission from the course instructor, who will determine if you have the appropriate background to be successful in the course.

NOTE: Changing from graduate non-degree status to regular status requires a new admission application. If you choose to enter Penn State as a graduate non-degree student, you must understand that no more than 15 credits of course work accumulated in non-degree status can count toward a graduate degree. Also, admission as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree or certificate program. Finally, non-degree students are not eligible to receive fellowships or graduate assistantships and preference for courses is given to degree students. Programs control access to some courses.

Individuals interested in taking graduate courses as a non-degree student at the College of Medicine must: 

  • Complete a Penn State University non-degree application. Please note, the non-degree application fee is non-refundable.  Apply here for non-degree admission. 


    ******   Please note, Hershey Medical Center Employees (Physicians, Residents, etc)   ******

                                *********   already have PSU ID numbers   ******

           **************   Please look on the back of your badge   ***************

  • Complete a Penn State College of Medicine Non-degree Course Enrollment Form
  • For access to computers at the College of Medicine:  complete a Penn State Hershey Access Account Request Form - this will allow you to access computers and library services on campus.  These forms are available at the George T. Harrell Library front desk.  Complete section 3 and sign pages 1 and 2; submit completed form to Kathy Simon in C1712, Office of Graduate Student Affairs. 
  • If you do not have a PSU ID:
  • Contact for more information.
  • Returning Non-degree Students: 
  • If you were enrolled last semester, complete a Penn State College of Medicine Non-degree Course Enrollment Form.
  • If you had a lapse in your enrollment (excluding summer semesters), please complete a resume study form and submit to the office of Graduate Enrollment Services. Only after your form is received and your record reactivated by the University will you be able to enroll. This typically takes 5-7 working days after receipt of form.
  • Federal financial aid is not available for non-degree students. Additional information can be found on the Penn State Office of Student Aid website.