Web Site Privacy Statement
- A visitor can access and browse our entire site at any time without providing any personal information. The only information Penn State Hershey obtains about individual visitors to its Web sites is that supplied voluntarily by visitors.
- In cases when Penn State Hershey may need personal information to provide visitors with customized content or to inform them about new features or services, visitors are explicitly asked for that information.
- Personally identifiable information provided by visitors (name, e-mail or home address, etc.) will not be disclosed to anyone unless visitors indicate that Penn State Hershey may do so.
- Personally identifiable information will not be shared at any time without the visitor's permission. Penn State Hershey employs strict security measures to safeguard online transactions.
- The Penn State Hershey Web site is intended for adults and young adults age 13 and over. It is not intended for or designed to attract persons under the age of 13.
A visitor can access and browse our entire site at any time without providing any personal information. The only information Penn State Hershey obtains about individual visitors to its Web sites is that supplied voluntarily by visitors. In addition, Penn State Hershey does not share any personally identifiable information of any individual with any third party unrelated to Penn State Hershey, except in situations where we must provide information for legal purposes or investigations, or if so directed by the patient through a proper authorization.
Forms: Our Web site contains forms through which users may request information or supply feedback to us. In some cases, telephone numbers, email addresses or return addresses are required so that we can supply requested information to you, and in other cases, correct names and addresses are required to process credit card payments. After you complete a form, we may contact you with follow-up information. We do not provide any information supplied on our Web forms to any outside organization for any reason, other than where we may be required to by law or as necessary to process credit card information. We do not save this personal information for any other reason.
E-Commerce and E-Healthcare transactions: Some Penn State Hershey site features may use applications to collect data to facilitate an e-commerce or e-healthcare transaction. We will ask your explicit permission to transfer this data to the third party to facilitate this transaction. Penn State Hershey may store this information to verify the transaction for customer service and accounting reasons and may use this information to help personalize your experience on our Web site.
Public Forums: Penn State Hershey may provide users with chat rooms, forums, message boards and/or news groups. Please remember that any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
Surveys: Occasionally, we may survey visitors to our site. The information from these surveys is used in aggregate form to help us understand the needs of our visitors so that we can improve our site. We generally do not ask for information in surveys that would personally identify you. If we do request contact information for follow-up, you may decline to provide it. If survey respondents provide personal information (such as an email address) in a survey, it is shared only with those people who need to see it to respond to the question or request.
Email: Unsecured information transferred over the Internet is similar to a postcard being sent through the mail. We recommend that you do not send sensitive personal health information to email addresses found on the Penn State Hershey Web site or anyone else using unsecured means. Should you choose to supply confidential information in this manner, you do so at your own risk. If you feel that this type of information is necessary to provide to us, please call our CareLine at (800) 243-1455 to speak directly to the party with whom you want to receive the information.
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that appears to be from Penn State Hershey asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal information through email.
User Name and Password: In the event you access any service requiring a User Name and Password, you are solely responsible for keeping such User Name and Password strictly confidential.
Security: The Penn State Hershey Web site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Penn State Hershey employs strict security measures to safeguard online transactions.
Automatic Collection of Information: As you browse our Web site or download information, our system will automatically gather and store certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally and is used in aggregate only to help us understand Website visitor behavior and interests, leading to improvements for future visits to our Web site.
Cookies: Cookies are used to track user activity throughout our website. They are not used to associate individual user activity with personal or identifiable information to be shared with any other organizations. We use the data provided to understand user session activity and help us improve the website visitor experience in general. We do not automatically gather individual names, email addresses or other individually identifiable information.
- Aggregate information on which pages are accessed
- Web browser software name and release number (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)
- Operating system (Windows, Mac, etc.)
- Date and time of Web site visit
- Web site address that linked to us (referrer URL)
- IP Address: All computer identification on the Internet is conducted with IP addresses, which allow computers and servers to recognize and communicate with each other. An IP address is a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet. Penn State Hershey collects IP addresses in order to conduct system administration and to conduct site analysis. To maintain visitor anonymity, Penn State Hershey does not associate IP addresses with records containing personal information. We use this information internally to improve our services. Although these statistics may be provided to others, they do not contain, and cannot be used to obtain, personal information about any individual Web site user.
How Do We Use the Information We Collect?
The information we gather automatically is used only by a select group of Penn State Hershey employees to:
- Monitor, review, measure, and analyze Web site utilization
- Modify and enhance the Web site
- Improve the content and design of our Web site
- Determine the need for new programs and services
- Monitor and improve our customer service efforts
- Study general usage habits and demographic information for our own marketing research purposes
- Determine the effectiveness of health promotion and marketing programs
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this Web site, or your interaction with this Web site, contact:
- Web Solutions Office (717) 531-7698
Please see our Website Access Agreement for other terms and conditions governing your use of the Penn State Hershey Web site.
- View our Privacy Notice >>
- View our Website Access Agreement >>