Welcome to Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute
Heart disease is the leading cause of death of men and women in the United States. It is important to talk with your physician about your risk factors for developing cardiovascular disease and creating a plan to help decrease the risk factors that you can control. If you are not sure if you are at risk for developing cardiovascular disease, take our on-line risk assessment.
Experts Available for Educational Talks. Presentations on a wide range of cardiovascular topics are now available through our new outreach initiative. Whether it's a formal program awarding continuing education credit, or a more casual presentation to primary care physicians or community groups, our goal is to provide current information that is appropriate in any setting.
For comments or questions about the website please contact us at PSHVIweb@hmc.psu.edu
- The Medical Minute: Are New Statin Guidelines Cause for Concern?
- What's So Bad About Trans Fats?
- Project Health: Tips for Lowering Sodium While Eating Out
- Project Health: Potential Signs of Atrial Fibrillation
- The Medical Minute: Pumps and Pacers—A heart device primer
- The Medical Minute: Heart Health Tips for Your Valentine
- The Medical Minute: A Simple Guide to Heart Healthy Eating
- Best Doctors in America
- Penn State Hershey Heart Failure Program Receives Joint Commission Certification
Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute's (PSHVI) heart failure program has earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ for health care quality from The Joint Commission. Click to learn more
- Penn State Hershey Ventricular Assist Device Receives Joint Commission Certification
Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute's (PSHVI) has earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ for Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) from The Joint Commission.
View videos to learn more about Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute services, physicians, patients, and facilities.
Current videos include CPR technique demonstration, ECMO patient interviews, and the story of the first patient in Pennsylvania to go home with a total artificial heart.
- Prominent oncologist to take leadership role in State College Dr. Edward Balaban has accepted an appointment as medical director of Cancer Care Partnership, a partnership of Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute and Mount Nittany Health, in State College, effective Aug. 1.More...
- Pediatrician joins Network on Child Protection and Well-Being Kent Hymel says that joining Penn State’s Network on Child Protection and Well-Being will enable him to fulfill professional goals that he cannot achieve anywhere else. The resources and collaborative opportunities with the University’s child maltreatment experts were too good to pass up.More...
- Sporting Clays event raises $68,000 for CMN The 18th annual Sporting Clays Charity Event raised more than $68,000 for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.More...
- Superhero Dash for Diabetes planned for April 12 It's time for the 10th annual Dash for Diabetes 5K run/1 mile walk hosted by the Family Medicine Interest Group of Penn State College of Medicine. This year's event honors a "decade of dashing" with a superhero-themed race to be held at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 12, on the East Health campus at Penn State Hershey.More...