Student Resources

How can I request an application and what should I expect out of the process?

Housing applications are obtainable through the Housing Office and can be found online here. A member of the staff may mail, e-mail, or fax prospective tenants the necessary application upon request. Due to the overwhelming demand for accommodations at the University Manor Apartments, applicants are advised to submit their applications to the Housing Office as soon as they are aware of their need for housing on the Penn State College of Medicine campus. The Housing staff, without a requested date of occupancy, cannot process applications. Do not send any money until you receive your assignment!

Only full-time medical/graduate students, nursing students, residents, and post-doctoral fellows are eligible to live on campus.  No individuals with employee status are eligible to live on campus.

What is University Manor's assignment process?

Assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis by the date of request for occupancy, then by date of receipt. We attempt to satisfy requests for type of apartment, roommate preferences, second floor apartments, etc.

*Note to Medical Students: Housing assignments are made in late May and through mid-July, as apartments become available. The chances for on-campus assignment are better when an early date of occupancy is requested. Most vacating apartments are available for occupancy mid-June to early July after graduating students and residents completing their education and training have vacated.

**Nursing assignments are made as per assignment schedule as directed by the PSU School of Nursing.

Where is University Housing located in relationship to the entire campus?

Take a look at our campus map.

Can you provide me with directions to the campus?

See maps and directions.

In case of an emergency, who do I call?

B.O.C. - x8888 (Emergency Maintenance or Fire Alarm)
Security - x8711
Safety - x7297
Fire - x8888
Medical - x8888

Are floor plans available for each type of apartment?

Refer to our "Virtual Tour" to see the floor plans for the apartment types.

Are the apartments furnished? If so, with what?

With the exception of the four-bedroom, all University Manor apartments are unfurnished. However, all apartments have been provided with draperies or miniblinds at all bedroom windows and dacron sheers in the living room; traverse rods for draperies are also provided in the living room.

The four-bedroom apartments are furnished with the following:


  • Bedrooms – window drapes, wooden bed with bookshelf headboard, mattress, four drawer chest, wooden desk with chair, desk lamp, and telephone. Every bedroom has connections for television.
  • Living Room – a three-cushion sofa, two matching sofa chairs, coffee table, two end tables with lamps, and sheer drapes.
  • Dining Room – table with four matching chairs.
  • Kitchen – refrigerator, range, garbage disposal unit, and microwave.


If I will be living in University Manor West, what are the things that I will need to bring?

Pillow and bedding, kitchen utensils, pots, pans, and dishes.

Can you provide a map of Hershey and the surrounding areas?

See our student maps page.

What is the length of Lease?

The period of occupancy begins with the date appearing on the lease and continues from month to month until such time as it is terminated with written notice as required by lease. When a tenant is planning to vacate the apartment, a sixty (60) day written vacate notice must be provided to the Housing Office.

Nursing: duration of studies at the Medical Center as per lease agreement and is normally semester based.

How do I request maintenance in my apartment?

When repairs to the apartment unit are necessary, the tenant should call the Housing Office and describe the repairs to be made. Maintenance requests must be called in between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  An online maintenance request form is available here.

No maintenance work will be performed on Saturdays, Sundays, or legal holidays, unless of an emergency nature. The only requests considered emergencies are those that endanger health or property, not inconvenience.

What is the Parking Registration Process?

Only those vehicles with valid parking permits shall be permitted to park in University Manor. All tenants must register their vehicles with the Department of Housing Services prior to or upon their arrival. Any inquiries regarding University Manor parking rules, regulations, or registration procedures should be directed to the Department of Housing Services at 717-531-8210.

How do I pay my rent?

Rental payments are due the first day of each month, with a grace period until the 10th, except for nursing students who pay at the beginning of each semester for the entire semester. There is a $2.00 late fee for each day the rent is late after the 10th of the month.

The rental rates for the University Manor apartments are subject to change; however, the rates have been substantially lower than the surrounding apartment complexes when consideration of all utility expenses are factored into the rate.

How do you handle roommate(s) preferences?

Roommates are paired by request from applicants, when possible, or by considering the following factors: sex, applicant category (medical student, graduate student, or resident), class (first year, second year, etc.) and smoking or non-smoking preference.

Is a security deposit required?

A security deposit is required to reserve the apartment prior to occupancy, and should be sent to the Housing Office once a letter of assignment has been received. The deposit shall be regarded as security for the care and safe keeping of the premises by tenant, return of the original keys to the Housing Office upon vacating the apartment, and payment of rent and other charges when due. The Housing Office will return any balance of the security deposit to the tenant, following any deductions for the above-referenced charges, within thirty (30) days of the termination of the Lease Agreement, provided the tenant leaves a valid forwarding address with the Housing Office.

Are there any special features?

All apartments contain features such as air conditioning, wall-to-wall carpet, electric heat, fully electric kitchen, refrigerator, and stove. Cable television is available by arrangement with our Cable TV vendor. Local area telephone service is also provided to University Manor tenants. There is no charge for on-campus telephone service or local telephone service.

Washers and dryers are available in all the 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom apartments.

There are coin-operated washers and dryers in one laundry building centrally located in University Manor West.

What utilities are included in my rent?

Electric, heat, air conditioning, water, sewer, wireless and wired internet service, and snow/trash removal expenses are included as part of the monthly rental charge.

Tenants are responsible for the payment of Cable TV service.

University Manor shall not be held liable for failure to supply heat, air conditioning, hot water, or other utilities or services when such failure is beyond University Manor's control.