Our Diversity-Related Initiatives are aligned with our four-point mission: education, research, patient care, and community outreach. Below is a sampling of activities.
In addition, our students are very active and involved in advancing diversity.
- Dean’s Council on Diversity - Advisory group to the Dean of the College of Medicine. Provide education and awareness to help create an inclusive campus.
- Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Employment Equity - Cultural Competency Training for faculty and staff.
- NIDDK Short - Term Education Program for Underrepresented Person (STEP-UP) – Provide short-term research education and training for undergraduate students from racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral research, and students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Internship (SURIP) - Provide short-term research education and training for undergraduate students in biomedical and behavioral research, including students from racial/ethnic groups underrepresented in sciences.
- Care Coordination - Language Line offers interpreter services for 150 + languages.
- Chaplain Office - Provides spiritual support as requested by patients, staff, faculty and students of various religious denominations.
- Community Partners Program – expose minority high school students to various careers within the Medical Center.
- Culture Club - Engage community in monthly evening meetings focusing on different cultures.
Student Support and Events
- Asian Pacific American Medical Students Association - Enhance cultural awareness by introducing different Asian cultures to the community.
- Multicultural Awareness Club - Foster diversity amongst student, faculty and staff.