Frequently Asked Questions
Finding a Job
How do I find out what positions are available? And How do I apply for a job?
- Click to view available nursing positions.
- Nursing positions include Staff Nurses, Transport Nurses, Advanced Practice Nurses, LPNs, Clinical Educators, Care Coordinators, etc.
How do I find out information about each Nursing Department?
- For more information about each inpatient nursing unit, please click to learn more.
Do you have a per diem or float pool?
- Yes. There are 3 different Plans (A, B, and C) with varying commitment levels. Three years clinically related experience is required. At this time, we do not have any openings for our per diem pool.
- These jobs can be found within the Staff Nurse job postings under the job title: "Staff Nurse" and Department: "Medicine Surgical Float Pool Personnel".
What happens after I submit my online application?
- All online applications are immediately reviewed by a Nurse Recruiter. You will be contacted by the Nurse Recruiter within 24-48 hours for a brief telephone screen.
- Depending on the position and your qualifications, an interview may be immediately scheduled or your application will be forwarded to the manager for review.
What do I need to bring to an interview?
- The recruitment staff will ask that you bring a copy of your resume, nursing license, any relevant certifications, and a list of 3 professional references with contact information, including e-mail addresses, (from a Nurse Manager, Supervisor, Charge nurse, Physician).
Benefits and Continuing Education
What type of benefits do you offer?
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center offers excellent benefits effective your first day of hire, including affordable health care, vision, dental, 5% matching on retirement, 75% tuition remission for full-time employee, spouse, and dependents at any Penn State University campus, generous paid time off, onsite child care facility and fitness center, free parking and more!
- Detailed benefit information is provided and reviewed with you by a Nurse Recruiter at the time of interview.
Do you offer relocation assistance?
- Relocation assistance is available for certain approved positions. (Staff Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Head Nurse, Managers, Directors, Care Coordinators etc.)
What types of continuing education opportunities do you offer?
- As a leading academic Medical Center, we offer numerous continuing education and development opportunities for Nursing staff. Specific courses include, but are not limited to: Critical Care, Trauma Nursing, Oncology Care, ACLS, PALS, NRP, ECMO etc.
- Other training programs include Leadership Development, Multiple Web Based Training programs, Crisis Resource Management, and Simulation Training with human patient simulator.
Do you offer sign-on bonuses or tuition assistance?
- Financial incentives exist for staff nurses through practices such as Certification Pay ($1,250/year) and participation in the Professional Development program ($4,000/year for attaining Clinical III status and $5,000/year for Clinician IV).
- A variety of tuition assistance, sponsorship, and reimbursement programs are available for Nursing Staff. For more information regarding tuition reimbursement, click to learn more.
Graduate Nurse Residencies
Do you hire new graduates?
- Absolutely! Designed to transition from student to professional nurse, the graduate nurse residencies program is structured, educational programs that offer training into several challenging specialties.
- Click here to obtain additional information regarding our Graduate Nurse program.
Do you have student nurse externships?
- Yes. Our summer Nurse Extern Program for nursing students combines actual work experience with education and is designed to promote individualized learning while providing participants with a distinctive advantage in their professional development.
- Click here to obtain more information regarding our Nurse Externship program.
Nursing at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Do you have a Clinical Ladder (Professional Development Program)?
- Yes. Full-time and Part-time Nurses are recognized in one of 4 categories: Nurse Clinician I, II, III, or IV. Attainment of Levels III and IV require an application by the employee and is based on an evaluation of the relevant criteria. RN's that attain Clinician III or IV status shall receive salary increases of $4,000/year or $5,000/year, respectively. The salary increase is divided evenly over 26 bi-weekly pay periods.
Do you have Magnet Status?
- Yes! Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center was notified on August 15, 2007 that it had been awarded Magnet recognition by the ANCC, the nursing profession's highest honor for health care organizations.
What is the nurse-to-patient ratio?
- The Nurse-patient ratio varies from unit-to-unit, depending on specialty area and level of care. Staffing is based on the intensity and complexity of care needed, not solely on the census of a particular unit.
What does the orientation process involve?
- A two day general Hospital Orientation will welcome you to PSHMC.
- Hospital Orientation is followed by RN orientation, in which Nursing Practices, Competencies, Expectations etc. are discussed and demonstrated. This includes review of Procedures, Computer Documentation, Skills Assessments etc. and takes place during the 1st and 2nd weeks of hire.
- Following RN orientation, a unit specific clinical orientation is designed by a unit Nurse Educator. A preceptor guides the RN through a 6-12 week orientation dependent upon the practice area, experience level, and clinical knowledge.
How do I apply for a temporary or permanent PA license?
- If you are Registered Nurse with a license from a state other than Pennsylvania, you must apply for, and receive, a temporary license from the Pennsylvania Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs/State Board of Nursing before you can be hired.
Contact a Nurse Recruiter at 717-531-5141 if you would like a Relocation Packet mailed to you.
Jessica Mullany, MHA
| Greg Emerick |
| Heather Peffley, PHR, DASPR |
| Patty Shipton, DASPR |