Fourth Year Course Directory
Away Elective Policy
LCME Standard (MS-20)
If students are permitted to take electives at other institutions, there should be a system... to review students’ proposed extramural programs prior to approval.
- Established electives at any LCME-accredited U.S. medical school will be automatically approved. However, students must complete the “Away Elective Form” and submit to the Office of Student Affairs at least two months prior to the beginning of the rotation.
- Established electives at affiliate institutions of the Penn State College of Medicine will be automatically approved. However, students must complete the “HMC/Affiliate Electives Form” and submit to the Office of Student Affairs at least two months prior to the beginning of the rotation.
Affiliate institutions include:
Lebanon VA Hospital
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Pinnacle Health System
Reading Hospital and Medical Center
- For away electives at any other site, students must also complete the “Away Elective Form” and submit to the Office of Student Affairs at least two months prior to the beginning of the rotation. In addition to the form, students must submit the following information.
- Course Description. This document should include a detailed description of the educational experiences which will occur on the elective, and a statement detailing the number of hours the student will spend weekly in clinical work. Electives must include at least 40 hours weekly of work within the elective.
- Course goals and objectives.
- A listing of faculty responsible for educational experiences during the elective. This listing must include an individual or individuals who will be on site with the student.
- A letter from the course director or supervisor attesting they he/she has reviewed the above documents and that they represent a realistic description of the elective. Note that it is the responsibility of the student to gather the above documents, but the description, goals and objectives should come from the organizers of the elective.
- The entire packet of material must be reviewed for approval by the parallel course director at the Penn State College of Medicine. In the absence of a similar elective, the away elective will be reviewed by the Associate Dean for Clinical Education.