Fourth Year Course Directory
Penn State College of Medicine Elective Requirements In Years III & IV
approved, CUMED III/IV subcommittee, February 7, 2008
approved, CUMED Oversight committee, February 25, 2008
- To meet graduation requirements, students in the College of Medicine must successfully complete a total of at least five 4-week elective rotations during the clinical years (Years III and IV). To complete these five required electives:
- Two 4-week blocks are available in the third year schedule which may be divided into elective and vacation time, or used entirely for electives.
- Multiple potential 4-week elective blocks are available in the fourth year schedule.
- The majority of elective courses are available during either the third or fourth year; however, some elective rotations are specifically designed for third year students or for fourth year students.
- Regardless of the year, any listed prerequisites must have been successfully completed prior to beginning the elective.
- Those electives which are designated as third year electives have been specifically designed for third year students and may only be taken during the third year.
- Those electives which are designated as fourth year electives have been specifically designed for fourth year students and may only be taken during the fourth year.
- Only one of the elective requirements may be completed as two 2-week elective courses. (Current 2-week elective courses are all third year electives and may only be taken by third year students.)
- Within the above criteria, students may satisfy the elective requirement of five blocks with any combination of elective courses. (There is no minimum requirement for a specific number of “third year”, “fourth year” or general electives.”)