Welcome to the Penn State Hershey M.D./Ph.D. Program
Penn State College of Medicine MD/PhD Program provides the opportunity for students interested in careers in academic medicine and research to obtain the necessary training in clinical and basic sciences in a seven to eight year period. The joint-degree program provides the student with knowledge of the breadth of clinical science plus the ability to design experiments and conduct biomedical research, with modern technology.
The program provides depth in fundamental disciplines and prepares trainees for basic or clinical research. More...
- AMCAS deadline is November 15
- Applications must be completed by January 15
- All Letters of Recommendation Must Be Submitted Directly to AMCAS.
Interviews will be 2 days in length. Applicants will arrive on Sunday afternoon, will be given a tour of Hershey, then dinner with students. Monday will be interviews with faculty, lunch including an oral research talk from an MD/PhD student and a tour of the campus. Our goal is to have our applicants gain a better understanding of our program, campus and the Hershey area during their visit.
Penn State College of Medicine now offers a joint MD/PhD in Engineering Sciences and Mechanics Degree Program which will provide educational opportunities to College of Medicine and Engineering Sciences and Mechanics students interested in state-of-the-art, interdisciplinary engineering science and mechanics topics that will have a transformational impact in medicine, health care and the life sciences. Current examples include: neural engineering; bio-nanotechnology; sensing and imaging technologies; health monitoring; advanced materials; electromagnetics; mechanics; biomechanics; multiscale modeling; optics and biophotonics, among others. Students in the joint degree program will be trained to translate innovations in engineering science and mechanics to medical practice and new medical and health care technologies and products.
The Penn State College of Medicine MD/PhD Program is interested in students who are considering a career that involves both biomedical research and clinical care. This program gives students the opportunity to obtain the necessary training in clinical and basic sciences in a seven to eight year period. The joint-degree provides the student with knowledge of the breadth of clinical science plus the ability to design experiments and conduct biomedical research, with modern technology. Men and women who are physician-scientists spend most of their professional time doing research as well as seeing patients. Many physician-scientists do research that has ties to human biology and human disease, and work at academic medical centers, research institutes, and industry. If you are fascinated by biology and disease and have an aptitude for science, are passionate about understanding how things work, and enjoy helping people, then this program may be for you. To learn more about a career as an MD/PhD, visit:
What we look for
- Students will spend two summers at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, PA and are expected to join a research lab at University Park during the academic year.
- Once per week clinical exposure during their internship will be provided.
- Stipends will be provided for the summer sessions in Hershey.
- Students will be considered for early admission to the MD/PhD Program during their junior year.
Applying to the Program
- Students should attend the yearly information session for Schreyer Honors College given by the MD/PhD Co-Directors in late winter.
- Students should also attend the MD/PhD annual retreat held in State College each spring.
- Applications are submitted through the College of Medicine SURIP website and are due by March 1.
- Penn State Health St. Joseph to celebrate Penn State affiliation with tailgate Penn State Health St. Joseph will celebrate its affiliation with Penn State with a tailgate Oct. 17 at its Bern Township campus. The event will feature free flu shots, the Nittany Lion mascot, games, music, and Berkey Creamery ice cream.More...
- Penn State Berks practical nursing program partners with Penn State Health For the first time, Penn State Berks and Penn State Health St. Joseph are partnering to provide practical nursing students with hands-on patient experience.More...
- The Medical Minute: The trick to finding allergy-safe Halloween treats Hershey bars, Snickers and Reese’s may be trick-or-treat night staples, but for children who have food allergies, these type of treats can be dangerous.More...
- Penn State Hershey has solid foundation for improving diagnosis While national attention is being drawn to the issue of inaccurate or delayed medical diagnoses, Penn State Hershey has been actively addressing issues that can lead to diagnostic errors with programs from medical education through to the clinic.More...