Welcome to the Penn State Hershey M.D./Ph.D. Program
Penn State College of Medicine MD/PhD Program provides the opportunity for students interested in careers in academic medicine and research to obtain the necessary training in clinical and basic sciences in a seven to eight year period. The joint-degree program provides the student with knowledge of the breadth of clinical science plus the ability to design experiments and conduct biomedical research, with modern technology.
The program provides depth in fundamental disciplines and prepares trainees for basic or clinical research. More...
- AMCAS deadline is November 15
- Applications must be completed by January 15
- All Letters of Recommendation Must Be Submitted Directly to AMCAS.
Interviews will be 2 days in length. Applicants will arrive on Sunday afternoon, will be given a tour of Hershey, then dinner with students. Monday will be interviews with faculty, lunch including an oral research talk from an MD/PhD student and a tour of the campus. Our goal is to have our applicants gain a better understanding of our program, campus and the Hershey area during their visit.
Penn State College of Medicine now offers a joint MD/PhD in Engineering Sciences and Mechanics Degree Program which will provide educational opportunities to College of Medicine and Engineering Sciences and Mechanics students interested in state-of-the-art, interdisciplinary engineering science and mechanics topics that will have a transformational impact in medicine, health care and the life sciences. Current examples include: neural engineering; bio-nanotechnology; sensing and imaging technologies; health monitoring; advanced materials; electromagnetics; mechanics; biomechanics; multiscale modeling; optics and biophotonics, among others. Students in the joint degree program will be trained to translate innovations in engineering science and mechanics to medical practice and new medical and health care technologies and products.
The Penn State College of Medicine MD/PhD Program is interested in students who are considering a career that involves both biomedical research and clinical care. This program gives students the opportunity to obtain the necessary training in clinical and basic sciences in a seven to eight year period. The joint-degree provides the student with knowledge of the breadth of clinical science plus the ability to design experiments and conduct biomedical research, with modern technology. Men and women who are physician-scientists spend most of their professional time doing research as well as seeing patients. Many physician-scientists do research that has ties to human biology and human disease, and work at academic medical centers, research institutes, and industry. If you are fascinated by biology and disease and have an aptitude for science, are passionate about understanding how things work, and enjoy helping people, then this program may be for you. To learn more about a career as an MD/PhD, visit:
What we look for
- Students will spend two summers at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, PA and are expected to join a research lab at University Park during the academic year.
- Once per week clinical exposure during their internship will be provided.
- Stipends will be provided for the summer sessions in Hershey.
- Students will be considered for early admission to the MD/PhD Program during their junior year.
Applying to the Program
- Students should attend the yearly information session for Schreyer Honors College given by the MD/PhD Co-Directors in late winter.
- Students should also attend the MD/PhD annual retreat held in State College each spring.
- Applications are submitted through the College of Medicine SURIP website and are due by March 1.
- The Medical Minute: Simple steps can lead to safe sleep for infants The number of infants who die each year from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) has decreased in recent decades as awareness of safe sleeping habits has increased. Yet each year, babies still die from sudden, unexplained causes.More...
- Tickets on sale for Children's Miracle Ball on Nov. 22 The 25th annual Miracle Ball will be held Saturday, Nov. 22, at the Hershey Lodge. The ball begins at 6 p.m. with a reception and silent auction followed by dinner, dancing and entertainment provided by Honey Pump.More...
- Tickets available for Neiman Marcus Fashion Show on Dec. 5 at Hotel Hershey Children's Miracle Network's annual Neiman Marcus Fashion Show returns Dec. 5 to the Hotel Hershey. This elegant runway show and luncheon benefits the children and families of Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital.More...
- Comics in illness the topic of the next First Fridays Lecture The Department of Humanities at Penn State College of Medicine will welcome Katie Green to the November First Fridays Lecture, “SHOW AND TELL: The Power of Comics in Illness,” at noon Nov. 7 in Room C2860.More...