- Simulation Development and Cognitive Science Lab - is a 2000 sq. ft area, which houses two teaching areas and a research / development area. The laboratory features two adult and one pediatric METI Human Patient Simulators situated in realistic OR settings and virtual reality based stations, including a CathSim intravenous trainer and an AccuTouch Endoscopy Simulator (bronchoscope and colonoscope). Our program utilizes the Sim Lab during BCS and other rotations to practice central line placement, lumbar puncture, intubation, and ACLS protocols. For more information, please visit their website
- The General Clinical Research Center at Penn State - Our primary mission is to provide research infrastructure for investigators who conduct research with human subjects. Investigations carried out can include studies of normal and abnormal human function and studies of cause, prevention, progression, and cure of diseases. For more information, please visit their website.
- Primary Care Track This program combines the academic rigor and strong subspecialty experience of a university teaching hospital with the enhanced ambulatory and primary care experience afforded by our affiliation with a community teaching hospital and private practice groups. The major objective of this program is to respond to the increased need for well-trained general internists to serve in practice as well as academic positions.
- Internal Medicine Research Pathway - The ABIM Research Pathway is an integrated program that combines training in research with training in clinical internal medicine. This pathway is recommended only for physicians who intend to pursue a career in basic science or clinical research. Because this pathway integrates research and training in internal medicine, with or without subspecialty training, entry implies a commitment to its completion. For more information, please visit the ABIM website.
- Subspecialty Research Pathway - The ABIM also offers residents a ‘Subspecialty Research Pathway’ requiring 24 months of Internal Medicine and a further 12 – 24 months in sub-specialty training, after which a subspecialty or added qualification (AQ) examination may be taken in the fall of PGY-6 or 7 (dependent of specialty). The total training duration of this pathway may entail up to 6 or 7 years. At the time of application, documentation will be required that the resident will be in full-time residency training or in a position with 80% involvement in mentored research for the duration of the year. For more information, please visit the ABIM website.
Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute (PSHVI) -With balanced excellence in care, research and education, the Penn State Heart & Vascular Institute will be the preferred provider of heart and vascular care for people of Central Pennsylvania and a national model of total heart and vascular health. The PSHVI houses dedicated floor space and has its own ICU and intermediate level care unit. For more information, please visit their website.
- The Penn State Cancer Institute (PSCI) is comprised of an independent day hospital and infusion room for outpatient care as well as a dedicated ward for inpatient treatment. Currently located in the south wing of the sixth floor, this area is poised for growth as it prepares to take over all three wings of the seventh floor, pending completion of the Penn State Children's Hospital. For more information, please visit their website.