Penn State Awards
Available Penn State Awards
Awards offered through the MSR Program
- College of Medicine Student Research (MSR) Awards
(The total number of COM scholarships is dependent on available funding.)
- Mellinger Medical Student Research Scholarship
Two awards for $2,000 in 2013
- Trout Medical Student Research Scholarship
One award for $1500 in 2013
- Lloyd Scholarship for International Medical Research
Limited to a project conducted in a country other than the United States
One award one for $3,000 in 2013
- Hill Family Medical Student Cancer Research Fund Award
Limited to a project in cancer research, especially cholangiocarcinoma
Three awards for $2,000 in 2013
- Bedrick Family Medical Student Research Award
Limited to a project in pediatrics
One award for $2,000 in 2013
- Naugle Family Medical Student Research Scholarship
One award for $1,500 in 2013
Application Process & Deadline
- For all of the above awards, submit a completed MSR Student Award Application Coversheet, and a copy of your MSR proposal to Elizabeth Hamen in the Office of Medical Education. Indicate the primary award for which you are applying. In the event you want to be considered for more than one scholarship, please list them in order of preferences.
- The deadline for all applications is 5 PM on March 21, 2014.
- All applications will be reviewed by a subcommittee composed of members of the MSR Committee. Projects are scored based on scientific merit, adequacy of resources, possible impact on the student's career, and overall creativity.
- All applications will be ranked with priority scores. For example, a high-ranking application that was submitted for the International award, but did not receive it will also be considered, by rank, for other awards.
- All awardees will be notified no later than May 2013.
- Questions can be directed to Elizabeth Hamen, MSR Administrator, 531-8563.
Other awards for MSR projects
Finkelstein Memorial Student Research Award
To encourage research in immunologic or rheumatologic diseases and especially the study of autoimmunity and autoimmune diseases
Two awards for $2000 each
Apply directly to the Office of Research Development for The Finkelstein Award
K. Danner Clouser Student Research Endowment Award
Limited to research projects in the medical humanities
One award, up to $1,500
Apply directly to the Department of Humanities for the Clouser Award
- Caputo Family Award for Alzheimer's Disease Research
To support research into the Humanistic Care of Alzheimer's Disease Patients
Two awards, up to $1,000 each
Contact the Department of Humanities