Congratulations on this next step, applying to residency. First of all, we want to thank you for showing interest in our Neurology Residency Program here at Penn State!
Candidates are often faced with different variables that make the decision process a little bit harder. There is not right or wrong, good or bad at the time of choosing a suitable residency program. It is a very personal experience. Usually candidates take into consideration, location, approachability of the faculty, satisfaction of current residents (a.k.a do they look miserable?) and fellowship positions obtained by prior graduates. While all of these are important factors to take into consideration at the time of making your final decision, it is also important to choose a program that "feels right". We are pleased to say that for most of us in the program, Penn State was the top choice because of that sense of belonging and just feeling at ease during our interviews. We hope you can feel the same way once you get the chance to interview here.
We wish you the best of luck during this exciting time!
Mariel Davila-Martinez, MD, PhD
Vitaliy Zhivotenko, DO
Sara Strauss, DO
Aaron Cochran, DO
Where are our 2014 graduates now?
- Sol De Jesus, MD: Fellowship in Movement Disorders at UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration, Gainesville, FL
- Ilya Levin, DO: Fellowship in Neurocritical Care at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Derrece Reid, MD: Fellowship in Neuomuscular at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Maya Lichtenstein, MD: Fellowship in Behavioral Neurology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Current Resident Awards:
- Balaji Krishnaiah, M.D., selected by the PSU student Class of 2016 for the Arthur P. Gold Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award
- Resident Teacher of the Year 2013-2014: Robert Knipe, D.O.
- Balaji Krishnaiah, M.D., Resident Poster Competition Winner at Pennsylvania Neurological Society Meeting, 2013-2014
Former Resident Awards:
• Stacey Clardy, M.D., Ph.D. selected for the Editorial Board of the Resident and Fellow Section of Neurology
• Prabhu Emmady, M.D. received the 2010 American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Travel Award
• Stacey Clardy, M.D., Ph.D. selected to chair the Resident and Fellow Section of the Pennsylvania Neurological Society
• Divpreet Kaur, M.D. was a Resident Poster Competition Winner at this year's Pennsylvania Neurological
• Stacey Clardy, M.D., Ph.D. selected for the Penn State Hershey Medical Center Ethics Committee
• Prabhu Emmady, M.D. received the 2011 American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine
President's Research Initiative Award and Junior Member Recognition Award
• Sol De Jesus, M.D. was Recipient of Focus on Common Movement Disorders Visiting Scholar Award, 2013
• Sol De Jesus, M.D. received the 2012 Resident Role Model Award presented by PSU Medical School, Class of 2014 at the Student Clinician Ceremony