Penn State Neuroscience Institute
Penn State Neuroscience Institute fosters collaboration among the neuroscience-related departments and divisions within Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.
Our mission is to:
- Assure excellence in basic and clinical research studies that increase our understanding of the normal and diseased brain.
- Promote the translation of research findings into new treatments for neurological disease.
- Improve the care of patients with neurological and neurobehavioral diseases.
- Provide a rich intellectual environment that enhances the educational experience in all neuroscience disciplines.
Harbaugh Named Society of Neurological Surgeons President
Robert E. Harbaugh M.D., FAANS, FACS, FAHA, director of the Penn State Neuroscience Institute and distinguished professor and chair of Penn State Hershey Neurosurgery, was selected as President of the Society of Neurological Surgeons (SNS) at its annual meeting June 8, 2015. Harvey Cushing, M.D., the founder of neurosurgery, was the first president of the SNS in 1920, making it the oldest neurosurgical society in the world.
The SNS, comprised of Neurosurgical Department Chairs and other senior educational leaders, holds the following as its principal missions: fostering neurosurgical research, developing neurosurgical curricula and educating medical students, neurosurgical residents and neurosurgery fellows. Membership in the SNS is limited to 200 active members.
- Kathy Morrison receives Distinguished Achievement Award from American Heart Association
- Medical Center receives national recognition for Advanced Stroke Care
- Penn State Neuroscience Institute Specialists named in Best Doctors® in America.
- Congratulations to graduate students Ahmed Alkhateeb (Ph.D. Program, Cell & Molecular Biology), Fatima Ali-Rahmani (Ph.D. Program, Molecular Medicine), and Cody Weston (M.D./Ph.D. Program, Neuroscience) on being awarded the Graduate Alumni Endowed Scholarship. Ali-Rahmani also received an alumni scholarship from the class of 1971. Earlier in 2012, Alkhateeb also received the Outstanding Dissertation award in Life Sciences - a Penn State wide competition. These awards, coupled with the CTSA scholarship that Xiaowei (Bill) Su won earlier in the year, represent the outstanding achievements of our neuroscience graduate students.
- Conquer Run raises $132,665 for Four Diamonds The Conquer Run, a competitive 5K run and fun walk through Hersheypark, raised more than $132,665 for Four Diamonds at Penn State Children’s Hospital and the fight against childhood cancer. The event, which was held Sept. 24, drew more than 1,000 participants.More...
- Streaming address for Penn State Town Hall announced The University is hosting a Town Hall from 3-5 p.m. Sept. 28 in the Pavilion Theatre at University Park. The meeting will be livestreamed for faculty and staff members at all Penn State campuses to view.More...
- 24 Alumni Fellows recognized for distinguished careers The Penn State Alumni Association will recognize 24 graduates in October with the lifelong title of Alumni Fellow, the highest award given by the Alumni Association.More...
- Espenshade wins volunteer services award Sue Espenshade, manager of volunteer services at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, has been presented with the 2016 Evelyn Burston Award.More...