It is the mission of the Penn State Hershey Neurosurgery Residency Training Program to:
- train neurosurgery residents in the profession of neurosurgery, providing for them an educational, clinical, operative, and research environment of the highest standard.
- prepare our trainees for the neurosurgical career of their choice.
- enable our trainees to successfully compete for the professional opportunities of their choosing, including those of academia.
- foster an appreciation among our residents and staff for the scholarly values and societal ideals that are the underpinnings of our profession.
- promote a responsible, productive, and healthy work ethic recognizing the needs of both society and the individual.
- further the knowledge of basic and clinical neuroscience through neurosurgical research.
- be active members in the regional, national, and international neurosurgical community.
- participate in the broader academic programs of the Penn State College of Medicine, the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, and Pennsylvania State University for the benefit of undergraduate, medical, and graduate students as well as our colleagues and ourselves.
- ensure that both the Neurosurgery Department’s goals and its individuals' needs can be met in a working environment that is collegial, collaborative, facilitative, fair and personally rewarding.