Research accomplishments during the first four years of the project:
Specific Aim 1
- Modeling of SNR, require absolute power, and examination of definition of 90o at high fields in the human head as a function of field strength.
- Distribution of SNR and SAR for a surface coil adjacent to an anatomically accurate human body.
- Modeling and experimental comparison of SNR and signal distribution at 7 versus 4 Tesla.
- Modeling and experimental comparison of magnetic field mapping at 3 T in a Birdcage coil in a human head.
- Analysis of the wave behavior of head size objects in lossy dielectric samples at high field.
- Analysis of excitation and reception distributions near a surface coil at 300MHz: an experimental confirmation of the theory of reciprocity.
- Analysis of the behavior of the polarization in spherical phantoms and the human head at high fields using dual surface coils for quaduature detection at 7T.
- Theoretical and experimental study of a birdcage coil with detached end caps at 3 T.
- Analysis of spatial resolution of numerical models of the human body and relation to the calculated SAR at 64 MHz.
- Analysis of the end ring and shield configurations on Birdcage type coils on fields in the human head.
- Analysis of temperature and SAR in the human head in volume and surface coils at 64 and 300 MHz.
- Model of local temperature change in brain upon functional activations.
- Phantom designs for lower field magnets to predict the field behavior at higher field strengths.
- Analysis of central brightening due to constructive interference with, without, and despite dielectric resonance.
- Single channel multiple animal coil for high field utilizing a homogeneous zero mode TEM coil.
Specific Aim 2
- Removal of local field gradient distortion during BOLD imaging in rat head and neck tumors.
- Numerical calculations of the static field in a three-dimensional multi-tissue human head.
- Study of two dimensional prolate spheroidal wave functions for MRI.
- Reduction of magnetic field inhomogeneities with the combination of SENSE and GESEPI at high field.
- Magnetic resonance imaging study of human olfaction and normal aging with static field distortion correction.