Acute Care Specialty Unit
Our knowledgeable staff specializes in the care of Orthopedics, ENT, Plastics, Urology, and Ophthalmology. Our interdisciplinary team includes nurses, physicians, and health care team members. We work with our patients and families to coordinate the plan of care in an environment conducive to healing. Our goal is to provide high quality, compassionate care with a focus on patient advocacy, treatment that is dignified and caring communication.
- Orthopedics (hip and knee joint reconstruction, hip preservation, fracture care, metabolic bone disease, gait abnormalities and arthritis)
- ENT (radical neck surgery, laryngectomy, thyroidectomy, flaps and facial trauma)
- Plastics (skin grafting, flaps, leech therapy, burns, re-attachment of digits/extremities)
- Urology (urinary tract infections, kidney stones, ureteral strictures, cystitis, benign prostatic hypertrophy)
44 telemetry capable beds.
Staffing decisions are based on patient acuity. Typically it will be 1: 5.
Self-scheduling is available with a variety of shifts. Nurses work with the scheduling committee and Nurse Manager to develop schedules that meet personal and professional needs. Efforts are made to achieve the objective of every third weekend by three or more years of bargaining unit seniority.
We offer a personalized orientation with dedicated preceptors. A personalized orientation is planned with the employee, nurse educator and member of the leadership team.
- BLS required; ACLS suggested
- Ongoing in-services and annual competencies provide continuing education opportunities.
- Certification in area of specialty is strongly encouraged and financially rewarded.
Candidates with 2-3 years of medical/surgical experience preferred; knowledge of Orthopedics, ENT, Plastics or Urology is a plus.
To speak with a Nurse Recruiter, please call 717-531-5141 or email us at NurseRecruitment@hmc.psu.edu. We eagerly welcome the opportunity to personally discuss job opportunities.