Penn State Cancer Institute
- The 6 South Addition Telemetry Unit is a state of the art unit that provides care for adult hematology and oncology patients, as well as stem cell transplant patients. It is specifically designed to care for the immunosuppressed patient through the installation of a HEPA filtrated air system and automatic room door closures. In addition, we have embarked upon an NCI designation and completed our first Phase I inpatient. Other investigator driven protocols are completed on this unit, as well.
- The 3 South Unit is an extension to our specialty unit. Patients with a variety of chemotherapy needs are admitted and side effect management is treated in this area. This area is equipped with telemetry.
We care for a wide variety of patients, ranging from adolescent to older adult. Our services include:
- Stem Cell Transplant: Ablative and Non-Ablative Regimens
- Research: Phase I through Investigator Initiated Protocols
- High Dose Interleukin-2 Therapy
Staffing decisions are based upon patient acuity. Typically, it will be 1:3-4.
Self-scheduling is available with a variety of shifts. Nurses work with the scheduling committee and Nurse Manager to develop schedules that meet personal and professional needs within the confines of their hired position and scheduling guidelines of the unit.
We offer a personalized orientation with dedicated preceptors. Orientation components include:
- Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Education and Competency followed in 6 months with the ONS Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Provider Course
- Stem Cell Transplant Education and Competency
Annual Demonstrated Competency in the Practice Area including:
- Stem Cell Transplant
- Conscious Sedation
Many of our nurses hold specialty certification through the Oncology Nurses Credentialing Center (ONCC). Certification in area of specialty is strongly encouraged and financially rewarded. Clinical Ladder path is begun during orientation and encouraged and financially rewarded throughout the novice-to-expert continuum.
Candidates with hematology/oncology/stem cell transplant background, or those with strong medical/surgical experience and a desire to care for cancer patients.
To speak with a Nurse Recruiter, please call (717) 531-5141 or email us at email@example.com. We welcome the opportunity to personally discuss employment opportunities.