Outreach & Public Service Programs
Outreach is an essential mission of Penn State University as a land-grant institution. Today Penn State Outreach is the largest unified outreach organization in American higher education.
The Office of Faculty and Professional Development is responsible for coordinating and supporting many of the Outreach and Public Service activities performed by members of the College of Medicine and Hershey Medical Center. Some examples of current activities are listed below:
YWCA Greater Harrisburg 23rd Annual Tribute to Women of Excellence
Penn State Hershey Medical Center and College of Medicine are looking to nominate a women of excellence who meets the criteria listed below.
- Nominees must have worked for or volunteered with a charitable, civic or human services organization that serves the Capital Region for two years or longer.
- Honorees should support and promote the YWCA's vision and principles of economic empowerment and racial justice, courage in spirit and action, breaking barriers, leadership and self-determination, family values and community responsibility.
Awards have been given in the past to women who:
- Participate actively in the community as mentors, role models and volunteers
- Actively serve on the boards of committees of various non-profits and organizations
- Raise and donate money to important causes
- Demonstrate integrity, strength of character and leadership
- Embrace and support the vision and mission of the YWCA
Lion Care is a medical student-run organization dedicated to providing healthcare to the underserved of the Harrisburg community.
Public lecture series for adults of all ages and high school students to learn about important topics in medicine and health, and the latest in medical research.
This program enables students at Penn State University or students currently enrolled at other educational institutions to observe and/or career shadow health professionals in a variety of clinical and research areas for the purpose of enhancing their educational goals, and/or seeking a career in allied health professions or the biomedical sciences. All inquires should be directed to Catherine Caruso at email@example.com or 717-531-7579.