Welcome to the Academic Home of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation where we are committed to advancing our field through scientific discovery and education.
If you are looking for information on Musculoskeletal Disorders or Patient Care, please refer to the Bone and Joint Institute or Spine Center.
Read and subscribe to the Ortho Report blog
Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute offers a website dedicated to providing physicians with the latest in orthopedic news. Penn State Hershey Ortho Report publishes articles by our orthopaedic staff to share discoveries and successes. Read and subscribe to receive new articles as they are added to the blog.
Winter 2014 articles
- Costotransversectomy: An alternative surgical approach to challenging thoracic spine reconstructions
- Targeted Ultrasound Screening for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip: Where Do We Stand?
- Addressing the Technical Challenges of Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty and Lowering the Risk of Complications
- Want to meet any of the Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute faculty at upcoming orthopaedic conferences?
Fall 2013 articles
- Four-Year Study of MRI-Defined Hip Labral Tears in High-Level Ice Hockey Players
- Achieving Success in Complex Nerve Repair of the Hand: A Lengthy Team Effort
- Penn State Hershey Researchers Identify Stem Cells in Shoulder Bursa, Intend to Explore Use in Tendon Repair
- Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute Participates in the American Joint Replacement Registry
Summer 2013 articles
- Treating Supracondylar Elbow Fractures in Children: Seeing the Challenges, Heading Off the Risks
- Changing the Status-Quo of Osteoporosis Screening and Treatment
- Strategies for Optimizing Outcomes in Cartilage Restoration
- Aquatic Versus Land Exercise: Which Yields Greater Benefits for Osteoarthritis (OA) Patients?
- Cardiac stress testing may not benefit ED patients with chest pain Patients seen in the emergency department (ED) for chest pain who did not have a heart attack were found to be at very low risk of experiencing a heart attack during 190 days of follow-up. Early cardiac stress testing compared to no stress testing was not associated with lower odds of having a heart attack in the future.More...
- Penn State Hershey leaders visit St. Joseph, share vision for the future On Jan. 21, leaders from Penn State Health and St. Joseph Regional Health Network met in Bern Township, Berks County, to discuss key developments -- and next steps -- as Penn State’s acquisition of St. Joseph moves forward.More...
- The Medical Minute: Seniors often keep falls a secret Because maintaining an independent lifestyle is so important for some elderly individuals, they may keep it a secret when they fall.More...
- Applications being accepted for AFF funding at Penn State Hershey The Allocation Committee of the Association of Faculty and Friends (AFF) invites Penn State Hershey employees and students to apply for funding for programs that directly support the Medical Center and College of Medicine.More...