Welcome to the Academic Home of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation where we are committed to advancing our field through scientific discovery and education.
If you are looking for information on Musculoskeletal Disorders or Patient Care, please refer to the Bone and Joint Institute or Spine Center.
Read and subscribe to the Ortho Report blog
Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute offers a website dedicated to providing physicians with the latest in orthopedic news. Penn State Hershey Ortho Report publishes articles by our orthopaedic staff to share discoveries and successes. Read and subscribe to receive new articles as they are added to the blog.
Winter 2014 articles
- Costotransversectomy: An alternative surgical approach to challenging thoracic spine reconstructions
- Targeted Ultrasound Screening for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip: Where Do We Stand?
- Addressing the Technical Challenges of Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty and Lowering the Risk of Complications
- Want to meet any of the Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute faculty at upcoming orthopaedic conferences?
Fall 2013 articles
- Four-Year Study of MRI-Defined Hip Labral Tears in High-Level Ice Hockey Players
- Achieving Success in Complex Nerve Repair of the Hand: A Lengthy Team Effort
- Penn State Hershey Researchers Identify Stem Cells in Shoulder Bursa, Intend to Explore Use in Tendon Repair
- Penn State Hershey Bone and Joint Institute Participates in the American Joint Replacement Registry
Summer 2013 articles
- Treating Supracondylar Elbow Fractures in Children: Seeing the Challenges, Heading Off the Risks
- Changing the Status-Quo of Osteoporosis Screening and Treatment
- Strategies for Optimizing Outcomes in Cartilage Restoration
- Aquatic Versus Land Exercise: Which Yields Greater Benefits for Osteoarthritis (OA) Patients?
- Graduate School to host fall grant-writing workshops Registration is now open for a series of grant-writing workshops to be held this fall by the Penn State Graduate School that are intended for advanced graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.More...
- Primary care physicians can be critical resource for abused women in rural areas Many primary care physicians in rural communities do not routinely screen women for intimate partner violence (IPV), according to Penn State medical and public health researchers. Rural women who are exposed to such violence have limited resources if they seek help.More...
- The Medical Minute: Easing back-to-school anxieties in kids After a summer of lazy afternoons and late bedtimes, parents of school-aged children face the deadline for helping their young ones transition to not only a new routine and schedule -- but also the academic and social challenges a new school year brings.More...
- Hershey graduate students to take oath on Friday Incoming graduate students pursuing master of public health, master of science or doctoral degrees at Penn State College of Medicine will participate in the Graduate Student Oath Ceremony, at 3:30 p.m. this Friday, Aug. 22, in the University Conference Center at Hershey. During this ceremony, first-year graduate students take an oath to uphold the values of integrity, professionalism and scholarship throughout their academic careers.More...