Anatomic Pathology Program
Lancaster General Health Community Practice Elective
John M. Yelcick, MD
Goals and Objectives:
Note: The core competencies addressed by the goals and/or objectives are indicated by PC (Patient Care), MK (Medical Knowledge), PBLI (Practice Based Learning and Improvement), ICS (Interpersonal and Communication Skills), SBP (Systems Based Practice), and P (Professionalism).
- Develop an understanding of disease processes (benign and malignant) and be able to recognize them in their initial and late stages. (PC, MK)
- Recognize the limitations of tissue diagnosis and maximize the diagnostic information. (MK, PBLI, ICS, P, SBP)
- Recognize your role as a medical consultant and be certain you have the appropriate clinical data before rendering a diagnosis. (ICS, P, SBP)
- Learn what diagnostic information is necessary for proper patient care and how to concisely communicate that data to the responsible clinician. (PC, MK, ICS, P)
- Understand the distinctive qualities of community pathology practice compared with academic practice. (SBP)
- Level of training: PGY-3 or 4 year
Duration and Timing of the Rotation:
- 2 weeks – 8 weeks, depending upon the interests of the resident
- Resident should contact Dr. Miele at least 3 months before the rotation to let her know of interest in doing the rotation.
- John M. Yelcick, MD and other LGH pathologists
Under supervision the resident will:
- Perform intraoperative consultations. Appropriately triage and process specimens. (PC, MK, PBLI, ICS, P)
- Preview, interpret and write up surgical pathology and cytology cases. Case load will vary, depending on the experience level of the resident. (PC, ICS)
- Perform 1-2 autopsies, as available. Pathologists’ assistant and autopsy assistant support will be provided. (PC, MK)
- Participate in 1-2 apheresis procedures, as available. (PC)
- Attend two Lancaster General Health tumor boards and present at least one case. (ICS, P, SBP)
- Complete an evaluation of the rotation and submit it to Dr. Yelcick. (ICS, P)
Note: Gross dissection will be performed by Lancaster General Health pathologists’ assistants and is not expected of residents during this rotation.
Method(s) of Evaluation:
- Faculty observation.
- Written evaluation of resident performance in New Innovations.