Blood Bank, Apheresis, and Transfusion Medicine
Medical Director: Melissa R. George, D.O.
- Irradiation of blood products
- Antibody ID's and titers
- Prenatal testing
- Donor testing
- RHIG preventive therapy (dispensed, not administered)
- Leukoreduction by filtration
- Therapeutic apheresis [Requires consultation]
- Therapeutic phlebotomy [Requires consultation]
- Direct Antiglobulin Testing (DAT or Coombs' Test)
- Transfusion Medicine consultation/expertise
Medical Director: Michael H. Creer, M.D.
- Routine chemistry profiles and panels.
- Therapeutic drug monitoring.
- Blood gas analysis; cooximetry; and whole blood testing for glucose, lactate and ionized calcium.
- Thyroid and fertility testing.
- Diabetes testing including hemoglobin A1C and microalbumin.
- Cyclosporine and FK506 testing.
- Sweat tests for cystic fibrosis screening, performed on outpatients twice a week by appointment and as needed on inpatients.
- Infectious disease testing including hepatitis, HCV and HIV markers.
- Wide variety of specialty tests, including intra-operative PTH and fetal fibronectin.
- Tumor markers including PSA, CA-125, and AFP.
- Cardiac markers - Troponin I, Myoglobin, CKMB and homocysteine.
- Inflammatory and nutritional markers.
- Serum/urine protein and immunofixation electrophoresis, hemoglobin electrophoresis, and associated tests including serum immunoglobulins, hemoglobin A2 and hemoglobin F quantitation.
- Toxicology screening for drugs of abuse.
Hematology, Thrombosis, and Hemostasis
Medical Director of Hematology and Thrombosis:
Medical Director of Hemostasis: M. Elaine Eyster, M.D.
- Automated CBC, platelet, and 5 part differential.
- Reflex manual differentials performed by staff experienced in abnormal cell morphology.
- Reflex or orderable review by pathologist.
- Examination for blood parasites.
- Reticulocyte analysis by flow cytometry.
- Automated coagulation testing: aPTT, PT, fibrinogen and quantitative D-dimer.
- Specialized assays for the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of thrombosis, with physician interpretation: Protein S, Protein C, Antithrombin III, Activated Protein C Resistance, Lupus Anticoagulant Testing, and Mixing Studies.
- Specialized assays for the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of hemostasis: Factor Analysis, Factor Screens, Factor Inhibitors, Heparin (Xa) Assay, Fletcher Factor Screen, Russell Venom Viper Time.
- Urine and serum pregnancy screen (Same day service).
- Spinal, serous, synovial, dialysate fluid cell counts and differentials.
- Synovial crystal examination.
- Kleihauer Betke fetal cell stain.
- Occult blood screen (stool and gastric).
- Urinalysis with reflex microscopic examination.
- Routine urinalysis with routine microscopic examination.
- Osmolality on serum and urine.
Medical Director, Hematopathology: Michael G. Bayerl, M.D.
Medical Director, Hepatitis and HIV Testing: M. Elaine Eyster, M.D.
The Special Hematology laboratory offers the following clinical tests to outreach customers. A courier is available for same day delivery of specimens within a 40 miles radius of our laboratory. The following services are provided by our facility.
Physician's interpretation/impression is available for the above tests.
- Comprehensive evaluation of blood and bone marrow specimens for benign and malignant diseases.
- Flow cytometry testing
- Leukemia phenotyping
- Lymphoma phenotyping
- Myeloma diagnosis and MRD
- Sezary syndrome
- PNH testing
- Lymphocyte subset analysis and immune panel
- Qualitative and Quantitative testing for Hepatitis C – RNA
- Quantitative testing for HIV – RNA (Viral load)
- Hepatitis C gentotyping
- HIV genotyping for drug resistance
- Platelet aggregation studies
Medical Director: David W. Craft, Ph.D., D(ABMM)
- Bacteriology including culture and automated rapid detection platforms for identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST).
- Continuous monitoring system for blood cultures with reflex to multiplex rapid identification platform.
- Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight (MALDI-TOF) for rapid identification of bacteria and yeast.
- Specific protocols for cystic fibrosis, anaerobic identification and AST, and highly infectious pathogens.
- Mycobacteriology including smear, culture and DNA probe for identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and M. avium-intracellulare complex.
- Continuous monitoring system for mycobacterial broth cultures.
- Mycology including smear and culture identification of yeasts and molds, and yeast AST.
- Partners in antimicrobial stewardship program, infection control, pharmacy and therapy, and emergency preparedness.
- Teaching mission to College of Medicine, undergraduate clinical lab scientists, post-doctoral microbiologists, pathology residents, and infectious disease fellows.
- Public health and infectious disease research in Peruvian Amazon Basin.
Medical Director: Ronald E. Domen, M.D.
Co-Medical Director: Hiroko Shike, M.D., D(ABHI)
Accredited by American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI).
- The Lab performs Histocompatibility testing, such as HLA typing, HLA antibody screening/identification, and lymphocyte crossmatch.
- The Lab provides essential testing for donor selection, evaluation of immunological risk, and diagnosis of rejection in various types of transplantation (ex. kidney, pancreas, heart, liver and stem cell/bone marrow).
- HLA typing is useful in predicting certain drug reactions (ex, HLA–B*57:01 in abacavir hypersensitivity) or susceptibility to certain diseases (ex. HLA-B27 in ankylosing spondylitis).
- The Lab performs testing for platelet transfusion support.
- The Lab provides HLA typing for Research/Clinical Laboratories.
Medical Director: Wallace H. Greene, Ph.D., D(ABMM)
- The Clinical Virology Laboratory offers a comprehensive service for viral isolation, rapid direct detection with viral diagnostic assays and viral serologies.
- The lab offers technical and scientific expertise and support by working closely with the health care provider to determine the most appropriate and cost effective course of action. The laboratory is in operation Monday through Friday, 0800 - 1630 hours, Saturday 0800 - 1200 hours and Sunday 1300 - 1600 hours.
- All positive results are telephoned to the requesting physician. Special instructions in collection techniques are provided by the virology staff. In addition all viral collection supplies provided at no cost.
- We offer isolation and identification for the following viruses: adenovirus, cytomegalovirus, enterovirus, herpes simplex virus, influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, mumps, measles, rotavirus, respiratory syncytial virus, and varicella-zoster virus.
- Molecular diagnostic assays for chlamydia and Neisseria gonorrhea are available.
- Because our virology lab is within the medical center we achieve optimal sensitivity with viral cultures due to decreased transport times. We are also readily available for on-site or phone consultations.
Pathology Core Reference Lab
Medical Director: Michael H. Creer, M.D.
- DABCCOur core endocrine laboratory provides comprehensive specialty hormone analysis such as insulin (total and free), pro-insulin, PTH (intact), androstenedione, aldosterone, 17 OH Progesterone, DHEA-S, ACTH, HGH, IGF-1, IGF-BP3, free testosterone and other analytes such as estriol, N-telopeptide, bone specific alkaline phosphatase and renin activity.