Welcome to Penn State Hershey Pediatric Weight Management
The Pediatric Weight Loss Program is a multi-disciplinary weight management program designed by a physician and registered dietitian to meet the specific needs of overweight children and teens.
- Excessive weight is the most prevalent nutritional disease among children and adolescents in the United States.
- Overweight adolescents have a 70-80% chance of becoming overweight adults. More people are now overweight than they were 15 years ago.
- Obesity is defined as a generalized accumulation of body fat. It is determined by measuring both height and weight of the child to calculate a Body Mass Index (BMI). A BMI percentile compares a child's BMI to his/her peers.
- A child or adolescent is considered obese if she or he is significantly over the ideal weight for the child’s height (BMI > 95th percentile).
- Availability of high-calorie snack foods
- Parent’s attitudes towards food
- Increase in consumption of fast foods
- Using food as a reward or to change behaviors
- Lack of regular activity or exercise
- Increase in television watching or computer/video game
- Not knowing how to eat healthy
- Heredity (the size of parents and other family members)
- Tobacco Intervention Program at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey Medical Center’s Tobacco Intervention Program, or TIP, support group meets from 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Monday evening at the University Conference Center on the Penn State Hershey campus. The free group sessions guide participants from decision-making to quitting through relapse prevention. Interested individuals should call 1-800-243-1455 to register and for directions.More...
- Program to fund physician scientists at Penn State Hershey Penn State Hershey is launching the Physician-Scientist Recruitment Initiative to address the decreasing number of clinicians conducting biomedical research. Physicians bring a unique perspective to scientific questions on public health because of their experience with patients.More...
- Miracle Marathon to benefit CMN at Penn State Hershey The Miracle Marathon, a wellness challenge to benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital, will take place from September 16 to October 12.More...
- Nominations being accepted for 2015 Woodward Lecturer The Woodward Endowment for Medical Science Education Steering Committee at Penn State Hershey is calling for nominations for the 2015 Woodward Lecturer, who will present the keynote address during the EdVenture Education Celebration next spring.More...