Getting Involved at Penn State Hershey Medical Center
Are you are interested in getting involved at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center to help improve our services and programs?
Please consider the following groups we have created for our patients and families to provide feedback and help improve our hospital.
- Patient- & Family-Centered Care Advisory Council consists of adult patients and family members who have experiences within the Medical Center. This group meets monthly with staff members and works on different projects to improve hospital programs and services.
- Children's Hospital Family Advisory Council consists of parents of pediatric patients and hospital staff. This group meets monthly and works on different projects to improve hospital services.
- NICU Advisory Council is made up of family members of past NICU patients and hospital staff members. This group meets quarterly and focuses on projects, programs and feedback for the NICU and Women's Health Unit.
- Family Faculty consists of trained patients and families who present to hospital staff on their experiences in the Medical Center and Medical Groups. Hospital staff benefit from hearing different perspectives of the care they provide to patients and families. We regularly have a Family Faculty member speak at new employee orientations, department/staff meetings, resident conferences, and medical school lectures.
- Family Greeters are family members of pediatric patients who volunteer their time and help to orient newly admitted patients and families to the Children's Hospital.
- Patient/Family Mentors are patients and family members who volunteer their time and help support patients and families who are going through similar situations. It's often helpful for patients and families to speak with someone who "has been there before."
- Interviewing Advisors are Family Advisors who are trained by HR to participate in interviews for staff positions. Family members have participated in interviews for Nurse Manager, Clinical Head Nurse, Perinatal Coordinator, Children's Hospital Administrator, and Child Life positions.
- Content Advisors are Patient/Family Advisors who are interested in helping review and provide feedback on written material. Most of this feedback will be done via email or phone.
Patient/Family Advisors provide feedback and participate in the planning of projects, initiatives, and program development. Patient/Family Advisors have been members on the following committees:
- Patient Satisfaction Committee
- Quality & Safety Committee
- Children's Hospital Design Committee
- NICU Critical Care Team
- Ronald McDonald Family Room
- Family Resource Center
- Various Committees for renovations of units
For more information on any of these groups, please visit our website at www.pennstatehershey.org/FAC.