- Surfactant protein variants in cystic fibrosis multicenter trial examining genetic markers in the developing of severe infection in children with cystic fibrosis. Funded by NIH (Cellular and Molecular Physiology).
- Clinical process control improvement with a bedside computerized insulin therapy protocol for blood glucose control (eprotocol insulin) in adult and pediatric intensive care unit patients.
- Surfactant proteins and respiratory distress syndrome
- Surfactant proteins in children with respiratory syncytial virus infection
- Epidemiologic multicenter study on mechanical ventilation management in children with acute lung injury.
- Reducing catheter associated blood stream infections initiative.
- Respiratory failure after bone marrow transplantation.
- Surfactant protein variants in pediatric respiratory failure multicenter trial examining genetic and clinical predictors of the development of chronic lung disease in children. Funded pending (NIH - PSCH).
- Genomic analysis of pediatric systemic inflammatory response syndrome 1000 patient study of gene expression in pediatric SIRS. Funded by NIH (Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio)
Single and Dual Institution Studies
- Inflammatory markers in serum of critically ill children with pulmonary disease and systemic infectious process.
- Genomic analysis of pediatric systemic inflammatory response syndrome
- Excitotoxicity and inflammation after severe traumatic brain injury or infection in infants and children.
- Chemokines in cerebral spinal fluid of children with meningitis
- Collections in bronchoalveolar lavage specimens in children with pulmonary disease.
- Role of surfactant protein genetic variants in cystic fibrosis
- Individual variability in innate lung host defense: surfactant protein-A genetic variants and macrophages as contributing partners.
- Circulating cells in lung cancer detection.
- Genetic and epigenetic alterations in cancer.
- Regulation of human SP-A gene expression.
- Surfactant protein genetic an innate immunity in ventilator associated pneumonia in children.
- Development of bronchiolitis obliterans: Role of gastroesophageal reflux disease and of the innate immune response.
- Clinical characteristic of accidental and abusive traumatic brain injuries in infants.
- A comparison of the patterns of thrombocytopenia in traumatic head injury and hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy in children.
- Retrospective review of most commonly identified microorganisms responsible for ventilator associated pneumonia in traumatic head injury in the pediatric population.
- The assessment of the effects of aminophylline in the pediatric intensive care unit.
Recently Completed Studies
- Depth of placement of endotracheal tubes in children development of a formula to be utilized to correctly place ETTs in children.
- Improving communication in the PICU development of a tool used to improve nurse-physician communication in PICU patients.
- Evaluation of nasojejunal tube placement randomized trial examining three different techniques of nasojejunal tube placement in critically ill children.
- Evaluation of Parental Presence During Bedside Medical Rounds in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- A Comparison of a Four Week vs. Six Week Educational Rehabilitation Admission on Hospital and Emergency Room Re-Admission Rates.