Welcome to Penn State Hershey Psychiatry
Like all of medicine and health care, psychiatry stands poised on a threshold of great and rapid changes. In the near future, advances in imaging and molecular biology will unlock many of the brain's mysteries, allowing more personalized treatments, based on new understanding of pathophysiology. Psychiatric patients, their families, and society at large will benefit. It is an exciting time to be a physician and to specialize in the evolving specialty of psychiatry. Click here to learn more
For clinical concerns and appointments, please contact the Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute (PPI) Admissions Department at 717-782-6493 or 866-746-2496. For out-patient appointments in Hershey, please call 717-531-8338.
The Central Pennsylvania Regional Autism Partnership, an ASERT center, was established in December of 2008 through a generous grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare's Bureau of Autism Services. In establishing the ASERT centers, the Bureau is intending to create three regional centers for Autism Service, Education, Research, and Training (ASERT) as a cost-effective way to address the chasm between research and quality diagnostic and intervention practices. The establishment of these three centers is a direct result of the work of the Autism Task Force, which recommended development and funding of regional centers as a means to leverage work from the research community.
For full stories and to see a complete listing, please click on one of the items below:
- Congratulations Dr. Erika F.H. Saunders
- Kudos Drs. Dougherty and Hameed
- Congratulations to Dr. Ilia Kritikou
- "Get Psyched" Wins ShapeUp Wellness Challenge
- Penn State Psychiatry Welcomes New Faculty.
- Congratulations to Dr. Aditya Joshi and Dr. Jolene Hillwig-Garcia.
- Fauzia Mahr, M.D. awarded 2013 Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award
- Susan Calhoun, PhD Awarded ABPP Diplomate Status
- Nine Psychiatry Faculty Members Named to 2013 Best Doctors in America
- Postdoctoral Scholar Julio Fernandez-Mendoza, PhD Receives Honors
- Alan J. Gelenberg, M.D. Interviewed for Patriot News/Penn Live Article
- Child Psychiatry Fellows Jitendra Annapareddy, M.D. and Lance Feldman, M.D. Pass Adult Psychiatry Boards
- Congratulations to Fauzia Mahr, M.D. and Mary Jo Laudermilch, CRNP on Patient Satisfaction Scores
- Bixler Named Keynote Speaker for SLEEP 2013
- Congratulations to Alan Gelenberg, M.D. on Successful Four Diamonds 5K Run
- Hameed and Joshi Receive Dean's Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- Psychiatry Welcomes Ajay Bhandari, M.D. and Azim Shahsavar, M.D.
- Department of Psychiatry Promotions
- Congratulations to Jolene Hillwig-Garcia, M.D.
- Alan J. Gelenberg, M.D. Interviewed for Realage.com Article
- Aditya Joshi, M.D. and Jolene Hillwig-Garcia, M.D. Accepted Into 2012-2013 Junior Faculty Development Program
- Graduate Student Jonathan Harris Receives CTSI TL1 Career Development Award
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Recognized by AACAP's 100% Club
- Immune cell role in intestinal movement may lead to better understanding of IBS Learning the role of immune-system cells in healthy digestive tracts and how they interact with neighboring nerve cells may lead to new treatments for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Researchers from Penn State College of Medicine, in collaboration with other scientists, have reported the role of macrophages in regulating the contractions of the colon to push digested material through the digestive tract.More...
- The Medical Minute: Don’t skimp on shades this summer Sunscreen and sunglasses top the list of summertime must-haves for most people. But just as skin can burn on an overcast or chilly day, eyes can sustain damage anytime you’re outdoors without sunglasses.More...
- Penn State Hershey to offer next Fit, Trim, and Slim session in August People looking for a safe and effective way to lose weight are encouraged to try Fit, Trim, and Slim, a 12-week weight management program offered by Penn State Hershey Heart and Vascular Institute.More...
- Grand opening held for medical/dental clinic at Bethesda Mission for LionCare Penn State College of Medicine medical students were on-hand when Harrisburg’s Bethesda Mission introduced its new medical and dental clinics to the community with a grand opening on Monday, June 30. Bethesda Mission is a homeless shelter in Harrisburg that serves the greater Harrisburg area and is also home to LionCare, Penn State Hershey’s student-run clinic.More...