Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- Forbes' 30 Under 30 list recognizes Penn Staters as change-makers Forbes’ annual 30 Under 30 is strong with blue and white on the 2017 list.More...
- The Medical Minute: Joint cracks and pops usually not cause for concern It’s not unusual for your body to make “popping” or “cracking” sounds as you lean over, twist or reach for something. Fortunately, it’s also typically not a cause for worry.More...
- Ribbon cutting for Employee Health and Wellness Center held Jan. 16 Penn State launched a new initiative for employee health and wellness on Jan. 16 with a ribbon-cutting event for the Penn State Employee Health and Wellness Center, scheduled to open in mid-February on the University Park campus.More...
- Fit, Trim and Slim session kicks off on Feb. 1 The next session of Fit, Trim and Slim, Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute's 12-week weight management program, will begin on Feb. 1.More...