Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- The Medical Minute: Clearing up common myths about psoriasis Psoriasis is a misunderstood disease, often kept under wraps by sufferers who want to hide their skin lesions. This week, Dr. Sara Ferguson, a dermatologist at Penn State Medical Group in State College, separates fact from myth about psoriasis and the various treatment options.More...
- How parents cope with stress of the NICU affects family dynamics Understanding how parents cope while their child is in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) could lead to better support for the family and a more successful transition to home when the baby is healthy, according to Penn State College of Medicine and Penn State Harrisburg researchers. Parental use of religious and secular coping strategies while their prematurely born baby receives intensive medical care may affect the family's interactions.More...
- Penn State Cancer Institute recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review Penn State Cancer Institute has been named among the “100 Hospitals and Health Systems With Great Oncology Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review, a leading source of business and legal information for healthcare industry leaders.More...
- New care plan improves outcomes for Crohn's disease complication The first published combined medical and surgical care plan for managing septic perianal Crohn's disease, a serious complication that occurs in around 40 percent of Crohn's disease patients, has been developed by researchers at Penn State College of Medicine. The plan and its results took more than a decade to develop and are based on patient outcomes.More...