Community Service Missions
- Outreach: Improve the quality of life for those in our local, regional, national, and global communities through service and volunteerism.
- Education: Provide cutting edge information to the community about health and medical issues. We strive to promote safety, healthy habits, general well-being, and preventive medicine in conjunction with our community partners.
- Partnership: Join with members of our local community to make central Pennsylvania a healthier and better place to live.
As teachers, care-givers, and researchers, service defines us. It is more than a commitment we make to our community - it is part of our nature.
Our community service activities take many forms and involve thousands of Penn State Health employees, Central Pennsylvania citizens, and partners across the globe. We provide tens of millions of dollars annually in charity work and state-of-the-art compassionate care to individuals without insurance or on Medicaid.
A few of our community efforts and initiatives are listed below – follow the links to learn more about them:
- THON – Penn State Dance Marathon fundraiser for the Four Diamonds Fund
- Lion Care – Student-run free medical clinic in Harrisburg
- LionReach – Mobile training and evaluation center
- Global Health Center
- Kiss Hershey Back – Annual Derry Township clean-up day run by medical students
- Children's Miracle Network – Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs for Penn State Children's Hospital and the children and families it serves.
- Early Preparation and Inspiration for Careers in the Biomedical Sciences (EPIC) – This project is committed to the idea that students at the high school level need to be prepared and inspired to make informed decisions about their futures.
- Surgery Live Program – An innovative program to stimulate the interest of middle school and high school students in careers in the health care field.| Video interviews with surgery team
- Mini-Medical School – For public to learn about the medical field
- Northern Appalachia Cancer Network (video)
- PRO Wellness Center Health Champions Program – Program focused on making "healthy easy"
- Scholar’s shift in subject matter leads to intriguing cancer-research findings Alexandre Bourcier, a Penn State sophomore and Schreyer Honors Scholar, found a new way to use a cancer-treating drug during a research project in Hershey.More...
- Santa makes a cyber-stop at Penn State Children’s Hospital As Santa Claus puts finishing touches on his list and checks it twice, he took time out of his busy schedule to talk with patients at Penn State Children’s Hospital.More...
- Deven Jackson’s football dreams come true Twelve-year-old Deven Jackson from Perry County lives and breathes football. So when his legs were amputated because of bacterial meningitis, he asked his parents, “Does this mean I can’t play football now?” Thanks to running blades, Deven’s determination and the care he received at Penn State Children’s Hospital, he did eventually return to the football field.More...
- PRO Wellness hits the street with new mobile unit Penn State Children’s Hospital and Penn State PRO Wellness are now taking healthy family lifestyle education on the road to various community events each month.More...