Welcome to Penn State Hershey Psychiatry Research
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our Department of Psychiatry at its inception in 1971 and continues today. The early foundation of this commitment to research was based on the relocation in 1971 of the Sleep Research & Treatment Center, which was originally established in 1963 at UCLA.
Currently the research efforts within our Department of Psychiatry cover a wide range of topics reflecting the diversity of our faculty. These research topics include:
- Adult (mood disorders, suicide, delirium, genetic mechanisms and health services);
- Child (Autism, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders, ADHD, assessment, neuropsychological functioning and genetic mechanisms);
- Behavioral Neuroimaging (neuroimaging biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders eg, Autism, eating disorders and substance abuse);
- Molecular Neuropharmacology (molecular mechanisms involved in activation and regulation of receptors for neurotransmitters);
- Sleep Research & Treatment Center (epidemiology of sleep and sleep disorders, neuro-endocrine, hormonal, metabolic and epigenetic mechanisms of sleep disorders as well as animal models, assessment of pharmacologic and cognitive behavioral treatment).
- Substance Abuse (Multidisciplinary paradigm assessing and guiding addiction treatment)
Graduate fellowship training is available within some of the programs. In addition, resident and fellow research, which is required for completion, is strongly supported through both research electives and the recently developed resident research track. Finally, our faculty actively supports medical student research, which is also a requirement for graduation from our institution.
- Committee recommends capital budget request, learns of improvement projects Penn State is requesting $129.2 million in capital funding from the state for fiscal year 2015-16, with a primary focus on funding major building renewal and maintenance projects.More...
- Trustees approve structure for new Health enterprise The Board of Trustees committee on Finance, Business and Capital Planning today (Sept. 18) voted to recommend the creation of Penn State Health, a new not-for-profit entity that provides a legal structure to incorporate various health care facilities and service providers into one new health enterprise. The full board will vote on the motion on Friday.More...
- Hershey's Hillemeier discusses year of continued clinical growth, innovation Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center continued a trend of strong financial performance, with a fiscal year highlighted by clinical growth and innovative approaches to education, research and patient care challenges spurred by a health care industry undergoing rapid transformation.More...
- Diabetes Fair to highlight therapies, educational information Adult Diabetes Education at Penn State Hershey will host a diabetes fair from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 1 at the University Fitness Center, rooms A, B and C for all members of the community. Faculty and staff are also welcome to attend.More...