Welcome to Penn State Hershey Psychiatry Research
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our Department of Psychiatry at its inception in 1971 and continues today. The early foundation of this commitment to research was based on the relocation in 1971 of the Sleep Research & Treatment Center, which was originally established in 1963 at UCLA.
Currently the research efforts within our Department of Psychiatry cover a wide range of topics reflecting the diversity of our faculty. These research topics include:
- Adult (mood disorders, suicide, delirium, genetic mechanisms and health services);
- Child (Autism, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders, ADHD, assessment, neuropsychological functioning and genetic mechanisms);
- Behavioral Neuroimaging (neuroimaging biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders eg, Autism, eating disorders and substance abuse);
- Molecular Neuropharmacology (molecular mechanisms involved in activation and regulation of receptors for neurotransmitters);
- Sleep Research & Treatment Center (epidemiology of sleep and sleep disorders, neuro-endocrine, hormonal, metabolic and epigenetic mechanisms of sleep disorders as well as animal models, assessment of pharmacologic and cognitive behavioral treatment).
- Substance Abuse (Multidisciplinary paradigm assessing and guiding addiction treatment)
Graduate fellowship training is available within some of the programs. In addition, resident and fellow research, which is required for completion, is strongly supported through both research electives and the recently developed resident research track. Finally, our faculty actively supports medical student research, which is also a requirement for graduation from our institution.
- Penn State Health St. Joseph to celebrate Penn State affiliation with tailgate Penn State Health St. Joseph will celebrate its affiliation with Penn State with a tailgate Oct. 17 at its Bern Township campus. The event will feature free flu shots, the Nittany Lion mascot, games, music, and Berkey Creamery ice cream.More...
- Penn State Berks practical nursing program partners with Penn State Health For the first time, Penn State Berks and Penn State Health St. Joseph are partnering to provide practical nursing students with hands-on patient experience.More...
- The Medical Minute: The trick to finding allergy-safe Halloween treats Hershey bars, Snickers and Reese’s may be trick-or-treat night staples, but for children who have food allergies, these type of treats can be dangerous.More...
- Penn State Hershey has solid foundation for improving diagnosis While national attention is being drawn to the issue of inaccurate or delayed medical diagnoses, Penn State Hershey has been actively addressing issues that can lead to diagnostic errors with programs from medical education through to the clinic.More...