Welcome to Penn State Hershey Psychiatry Research
A strong commitment for research and scholarship was established in our Department of Psychiatry at its inception in 1971 and continues today. The early foundation of this commitment to research was based on the relocation in 1971 of the Sleep Research & Treatment Center, which was originally established in 1963 at UCLA.
Currently the research efforts within our Department of Psychiatry cover a wide range of topics reflecting the diversity of our faculty. These research topics include:
- Adult (mood disorders, suicide, delirium, genetic mechanisms and health services);
- Child (Autism, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders, ADHD, assessment, neuropsychological functioning and genetic mechanisms);
- Behavioral Neuroimaging (neuroimaging biomarkers for diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders eg, Autism, eating disorders and substance abuse);
- Molecular Neuropharmacology (molecular mechanisms involved in activation and regulation of receptors for neurotransmitters);
- Sleep Research & Treatment Center (epidemiology of sleep and sleep disorders, neuro-endocrine, hormonal, metabolic and epigenetic mechanisms of sleep disorders as well as animal models, assessment of pharmacologic and cognitive behavioral treatment).
- Substance Abuse (Multidisciplinary paradigm assessing and guiding addiction treatment)
Graduate fellowship training is available within some of the programs. In addition, resident and fellow research, which is required for completion, is strongly supported through both research electives and the recently developed resident research track. Finally, our faculty actively supports medical student research, which is also a requirement for graduation from our institution.
- Cardiac stress testing may not benefit ED patients with chest pain Patients seen in the emergency department (ED) for chest pain who did not have a heart attack were found to be at very low risk of experiencing a heart attack during 190 days of follow-up. Early cardiac stress testing compared to no stress testing was not associated with lower odds of having a heart attack in the future.More...
- Penn State Hershey leaders visit St. Joseph, share vision for the future On Jan. 21, leaders from Penn State Health and St. Joseph Regional Health Network met in Bern Township, Berks County, to discuss key developments -- and next steps -- as Penn State’s acquisition of St. Joseph moves forward.More...
- The Medical Minute: Seniors often keep falls a secret Because maintaining an independent lifestyle is so important for some elderly individuals, they may keep it a secret when they fall.More...
- Applications being accepted for AFF funding at Penn State Hershey The Allocation Committee of the Association of Faculty and Friends (AFF) invites Penn State Hershey employees and students to apply for funding for programs that directly support the Medical Center and College of Medicine.More...